Can't seem to get rsync to work...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can't seem to get rsync to work...

Using the Web gui I can't seem to get rsync to work.

I am trying to backup my openmediavault box to another nas.

I keep getting an error no matter what I try.

Rsync error: permission denied, please try again.

Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_rsa
      Next authentication method: password
      Read_passphrase: can't open /dev/tty: no such device or address.
      Authentication that can continue: publickey,password
      Permission denied, please try again
      Read_passphrase: can't open /dev/tty: no such device or address
      Permission denied (publickey,password).

Unexplained error code 255.

I am using username/password to authenticate.

I have manually ssh to the remote nas from openmediavault and vise versa to get keys in the known host files.

Seems as though rsync does not like username and pass for authentication and wants to try publickey.

The post was edited 1 time, last by silvershark ().

• Rsycn, in the GUI, is setup to sync shared folders. If you want to Rsync a local shared folder to a remote shared folder, the easiest way is to use the "Remote Mount" plugin.

To use Remote Mount, you'll need a user name and password with write access to the remote share.
      (If this is successful, you'll see the remote share in Storage, File systems.)

Then set up a local "shared folder", that uses the remotely mounted share as the "device". The path is "/" only. (This requires changing the default.)

Finally, you'll set up a Local rsync job with a source (local shared folder) and destination (the remotely mounted shared folder). Don't get this wrong. For safety, it might be best leave the Delete option off until two full copies are confirmed.

That seems odd... considering you can use command line to backup from one server to another with rsync.

IE: rsync -avr / rsync://192.168.1.210:/shares/BackupDATA

I ran that manually and I was able to determine that the rsync daemon was not running on the remote Linux machine. I had to manually create the etc/rsyncd.conf file, the /etc/rsyncd.secrets and enable the rsync from false to true. I then tried the same command above and I am now getting..

@ERROR: unknown module 'shares'
    • What I described works and it doesn't require an Rsync server on the remote machine.

silvershark wrote:

That seems odd... considering you can use command line to backup from one server to another with rsync.
      Of course this is correct. There are many methods for doing the exact same thing, on the command line. But the entire point behind OMV is to use the GUI where possible.

If you're interested in a command line approach, I'd suggest Googling "Rsync", "Debian 9", "copy drive to remote host" (or server) and see what turns up.

The post was edited 1 time, last by crashtest ().

I had my alias set wrong in my remote server, fixed that and now manually initiating the command is working fine.

So I just want to be clear, the gui does not support rsync remote push or pull? Why is it an option in the module? Confusing why it wouldn't support local share to remote rsync when this is the basic and most utilized feature with rsync.

If the gui does not support it I can just add my rsync commands to a cronjob.

I would prefer to use rsync gui since I use rsync on a few other machines.
    • silvershark wrote:

So I just want to be clear, the gui does not support rsync remote push or pull?
      Yes, the GUI supports push or pull. If using remote mount (which is essentially what you're doing on the command line); "push or pull" is just a matter of switching the source and destination in the GUI. In fact, the GUI will work with a remote Rsync server as well. (Again, there are lots of ways to do the same thing.)

Also, instead of creating a cron job, any command line can be executed in the GUI using a Scheduled Job (the GUI's implementation of cron). After it's saved, it can be run on a schedule or manually.

Yeah, I saw that post. I made the assumption that I could just use the rsync Web gui to schedule rsync jobs remotely... Never had any luck. I kept fighting it thinking it was something I was doing. Come to find out it was the plug in not supporting remote rsync.

I then decided to try using standard rsync commands and after a few minutes I was able to get rsync working properly.

Using the gui and scheduled tasks (which is basically a gui to cron jobs). I input my rsync commands and off I went.

In reality the rsync plug-in is kind of a waste without the remote rsync feature. Much quicker and easier to just input a line of rsync code into the scheduled task gui and let rsync do its thing.