best/simplest backup solution.

• I need to backup the content of my server to something I cab rotate off site. I used to use WHS2011 and used software to backup important folder to a external HDD. is this still possible in omv? im not bothered about backing up the server itself, just my data.

whats the best solution do you think?

• The USB-Plugin is using rsnyc in the background, which is very powerful. I played around in my VM. :)

But on my production-system there is a downside: I got only USB 2.0. This would be an endless backup-job! :(

So I'm using external software, pulling my files from OVM via Gigabit-LAN to my backup-drive. I prefer "SyncBackPro". There is an option in this software: "When drive with serial-no. 1234XYZ is connected, backup this folder!" That's a geat feature and much faster than doing a USB-2.0-Backup-Job. You can background it - so you only get feedback, when there are problems. I'm not exaclty shure, if cheaper SE-Version can do this the same way. You can check this by yourself in the comparison-chart or by trying the testversion.

Warning: SyncBackPro is a "Backup-Swiss-Army-Knife" with a hughe manual (> 400 pages! :shock: ). If you've got USB 3.0, check the USB-Plugin in OMV first.

• I'm using rsync to a backup OMV nas that I bring to the house once every week. Connect it to the network and let it do its thing.
    Through rsync it pulls all the changes of our production OMV over night. Next morning I take it off site again.

Its build on an old miniITX board Via C7, 1 g ram and a meagre 100Mb/sec onboard netcard. I has two big disks with no raid. Its slow but after the initial rsync a incremental rsync only takes one hour.

Besides this i have a spare disk that contains a copy of the most important things. Backup to this disk is done four times a year.

I think the rsync pull from a backup OMV is the easiest way. Just connect it to the network and power up. Next morning shutdown and bring the backup OMV offsite. You're backup is done.

• Is there a way to set up a cron job to run the USB BackUp plugin jobs. I would like to leave my USB 3.0 drive plugged in and back up to it every night while the family sleeps.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!