Why no update notifications, and when reboot (notification pop-up)?

• Hi,

as a novice I do have two questions.

1. after activation the mail-notifications I thought, that when an update appears I will get a notification, that an update is available (with the last debian update, there has been no notification)??

2. As I'm not an linux expert I don't really know, when I have to restart the OMV-System or not? Sometimes I actually need to make a restart after installing updates, sometimes not... A notification pop-up would be cool to know, that the changes only take effect when rebooting....

• Generally speaking, only an update to the kernel would require a reboot.

I don't know why you are not getting update notifications. Mine is also broken and I have not seen any update notifications in years.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

2. As I'm not an linux expert I don't really know, when I have to restart the OMV-System or not? Sometimes I actually need to make a restart after installing updates, sometimes not... A notification pop-up would be cool to know, that the changes only take effect when rebooting....

I never seen an update that requires a reboot. I 've heard that you have to do that on Windows :) but not on Linux.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I never seen an update that requires a reboot.

The kernel :)

The existence of /var/run/reboot-required tells you that a package update wants the system rebooted.
    If a service needs a restart, it will be listed in /var/run/reboot-required.
    The package(s) telling the system that it wants a reboot is listed in /var/run/reboot-required.pkgs.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know why you are not getting update notifications. Mine is also broken and I have not seen any update notifications in years.

Same here. I get notifications of scheduled jobs (when enabled), but nothing else.

• But that Github-issue doesn't look at the overall problem...: No notifications for general updates.

Just logged in into the WebGUI and found, that there have been a bunch of update available - but I didn't get any notification :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just logged in into the WebGUI and found, that there have been a bunch of update available - but I didn't get any notification

very rarely will there not be an update at least once a week. So, if you login weekly, you shouldn't need an update notification.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, but if there is an option to get notifications it would be nice to get them (if enabled).

But then people are going to complain that they get notified too often since there are updates available almost every day (especially when the Debian/OMV version is newly released). If people really want notifications, you can configure the unattended-upgrades package to email you with minimal setup and without automatically upgrading packages.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can just disable software updates notifications, if you don't want to get them.

But if you don't get update notifications if enabled, you must assume you also don't get any of the other available notifications like CPU usage, load average or SMART.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can just disable software updates notifications, if you don't want to get them.

I understand that but most people don't need to install updates every day and would probably want to get emails less frequently than daily but still not disabled. Personally, I update whenever I login.

• You can just disable software updates notifications, if you don't want to get them.

But if you don't get update notifications if enabled, you must assume you also don't get any of the other available notifications like CPU usage, load average or SMART.

It doesn't work that way here. I have update notifications enabled but don't get any update notifications. I also have some of other notifications enabled and those do send notifications.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It doesn't work that way here. I have update notifications enabled but don't get any update notifications. I also have some of other notifications enabled and those do send notifications.

I forgot there was an option for update notification. That makes most of my posts pointless lol

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also have some of other notifications enabled and those do send notifications.

I get mails from rsync and rsnapshot, but not sure if I would get any of the SMART, load average, CPU notifications. May be I should stress the system a bit more :D

• It doesn't work that way here. I have update notifications enabled but don't get any update notifications. I also have some of other notifications enabled and those do send notifications.

Same situation for my. Don't get any update notifications. That's it. Even after several weeks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I got an update notification for one of my servers today:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!