OMV 4 + RPI 2 = Crash

• Hi,

I upgraded my RPI 2 B+ from OMV2 to OMV4 by doing a clean install.

All seemed well at first, i.e. could access shares as I wanted, etc., but now it is crashing periodically and I don't know the cause :( (BTW It did not crash with OMV2 loaded - exactly the same hardware configuration)

Once it has crashed, only a power off/on will bring it back - I can't access it through the GUI or TTY into it.

After rebooting the OMV log is cleared, so I can't see any error messages that I can address ?(

Config is:

• RPI 2B+
    • 2 x external self powered USB hard drives
    • USB Gigabit ethernet adapter
    • OMV 4.1.19-1
    • Linux 4.14.98-v7+

I'm only moderately technical and have very limited Linux knowledge. Can someone help me locate the fault please? Suggestions on where to look for faults....logs to view....tests....?

Thanks in anticipation :thumbup:

• Check for undervoltage first: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

With SBC and especially the RPi it's always two issues if something bad happens: underpowering or SD card hassles (if it's an old card an update orgy might kill it or might have already killed, you can give armbianmonitor -c a try to verify installation integrity)

• tkaiser Thanks for the response!

I have no /var/log/raspihealth.log (I've looked).

BTW, forgot to state that I have heatsinks and a fan powered from the GPIO pins. (See below, temperatures are relatively low)

Running raspimon I appear to be getting some low voltages and drops in clock speed, so will look to see if I can find a better PSU / cable:

SD card is configured as follows:
    Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 137215 129024 63M c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/mmcblk0p2 137216 15500000 15362785 7.3G 83 Linux
    /dev/mmcblk0p3 15500001 61707551 46207551 22G 83 Linux

But 'armbianmonitor -c /dev/mmcblk0p2' gives 'Checking disks is not permitted as root or through sudo. Exiting' am I just executing the wrong command?

Tried using 'minerd' and 'cpuminer' but for each I get 'command not found'

(Sorry for my ineptitude on this)

• Running raspimon I appear to be getting some low voltages and drops in clock speed

No, that looks fine since this is usual cpufreq scaling behavior: when the system is idle clockspeeds drop to 600 MHz. But I don't know whether latest RPi 'firmware' update changed output of the command we use to query the ThreadX main operating system so I don't know whether we still can trust into raspimon output or not (at least with the RPi 3 B+ they now output something entirely different and maybe this applies to the 2B too -- neither know nor care since every RPi is such a horrible choice for a NAS).

Yesterday I also overlooked that you did a clean install -- my bad. And I also mixed the armbianmonitor options. Verifying an install is -v and not -c.

• Running armbianmonitor -v I get:

It appears you may have corrupt packages.

This is usually a symptom of filesystem corruption caused by SD cards or eMMC
    dying or burning the OS image to the installation media went wrong.

The following changes from packaged state files were detected:

/usr/local/bin/pulseaudio.txt
    /usr/bin/armbianmonitor

Neither suggest issues in running OMV and the latter is strange, given that it's the very utility that I've just run. Anything to worry about?

• I've run stress for over and hour and no crash, so still stumped as to the what teh problem is.

Appreciate that there are many potential causes, so will keep looking.

In any case, thanks for your help!!

• To follow up....

I had been runing the RPi headless, so couldn't see the local outpout on crash, so I hooked it up to a screen and :

EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2):ext4_find_entry: 1438: inode......

So, it was due to a fauly Micro SD card. Replaced with a nice new SanDisk Extreme 32 GB microSDHC and now running absolutely fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!