nginx with php 7.2, is it possible (or practical) ??

• This may be grasping at straws, and more work than its worth, but I'm hoping someone knows the definitive answer....

I took an old PC and first installed "Linux debian 4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.130-2 (2018-10-27) x86_64" on it, pretty much bare bones without a desktop interface, then installed OMV (it's the latest version as of today) and the nginx plugin, among others, on it. Its main "job" is just a test bed for some web software which I support through work.

It works fine with nginx at the moment, which is by default using PHP v5.6, but now I need to get PHP 7.1 or greater installed (7.3 would be preferred) and used by default via the nginx plugin, since the latest version of the software I support requires PHP 7.1 or greater.

From looking at the folders on disk (/usr/bin/), it appears that I have PHP 7.0 already installed, though see no way to "tell" nginx to use that by default. Problem is that I need at least PHP 7.1 for my use case.

Is what I want to do even possible, given OMV only offers nignx as an Apache substitute?

If so, is it just a couple (or several) file edits, or am I looking at a lot of work?

Or is this something I'd be best off accomplishing by rebuilding the entire computer from scratch with a different flavor of Linux then adding OVM and nginx to it?

All help appreciated, thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

(it's the latest version as of today) and the nginx plugin, among others, on it. Its main "job" is just a test bed for some web software which I support through work.

It works fine with nginx at the moment, which is by default using PHP v5.6,

Not sure what you installed but OMV 4.x uses php 7.0. You really should use the OMV ISO.

Is what I want to do even possible, given OMV only offers nignx as an Apache substitute?

php 7.1+ isn't in the Debian repos. So, you have to add repos to get it and that is usually a bad idea.

If so, is it just a couple (or several) file edits, or am I looking at a lot of work?

Your edits would be overwritten on future OMV config changes.

Or is this something I'd be best off accomplishing by rebuilding the entire computer from scratch with a different flavor of Linux then adding OVM and nginx to it?

Use docker (plugin available). Then you can get nginx or apache with whatever version of php you need. It won't break your OMV install then.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I assume that's Docker CE (which says it "replaces old docker)?

Trying to then install the docker plugin, I get these errors:

And that block of errors just keeps repeating until I close the window and have to refresh.

If you think it best I just reformat the HDD and install the OMV ISO, I can do that.

(I'd prefer to keep the existing install since I have my entire media library installed via Plex, but.......)

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you think it best I just reformat the HDD and install the OMV ISO, I can do that.

You have some weird combination of OMV 3.x and 4.x on your system. So, I think this is the best option. If you had omv-extras 4.x installed, you would only see on Docker repo (Docker CE) and it wouldn't have the replaces message.

(I'd prefer to keep the existing install since I have my entire media library installed via Plex, but.......)

I also recommend not using the plex plugin in favor of docker - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced Maybe you can re-use your library files in the docker.

I guess before you do any of that, post the output of:
    dpkg -l | grep openm
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• ok, here's the output of those 3 commands, but I have to use more than 1 reply as the 10k character limit was reached

• ok, here's the output of those 3 commands, but I have to use more than 1 reply as the 10k character limit is reached

root@debian:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    #

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.7.1 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1 20170116-10:57]/ stretch main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.7.1 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1 20170116-10:57]/ stretch main

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
    deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main

deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main

# stretch-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main
    deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main
    # deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main
    root@debian:~#

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have a bunch of 3.x plugins installed including omv-extras 3.x. Install omv-extras 4.x and upgrade the plugins. You have some that don't exist on omv 4.x though. And just because a repo exists doesn't mean you should enable it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 3.4.32

I thought I already had omv-extras v4 installed.

I originally had omv 3 and then..... upgraded? it to v4 at some point in the las few months.

Nope. Your output tells me that omv-extras was not upgraded. Hard to say what happened but you can upgrade it now.

• More troubles, unfortunately.

I got v4 omv-extras installed by downloading "openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all4.deb" and installing it from the OMV-Extras page, then enabled "Docker CE" without errors.

However, when I then try to install the "openmediavault-docker-gui 4.1.3" Plugin on the plugins page, it throws a variety of errors.

I had to screenshot them since the text windows keep scrolling and I can't copy/paste fast enough to keep the window from refreshing.

and

That error repeated quite a few times and I had to click OK on each one. It finally stopped, but then if I try to check for updates on the Update Management page, it fails with a window of text:

OMV-Errors-Update-Management.txt

I'm hoping there's a quick fix?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm hoping there's a quick fix?

Reinstall?? Between the bad combo of OMV 3.x and 4.x packages AND the external repos you have enabled, I'm not sure. You really should start with a clean system instead of trying to fix this mess. If not, it will probably haunt you with problems until you do.

• I was afraid that would be your answer, lol. Looks like a fresh install of the ISO would be the best way forward from here.

Thanks for the help, regardless. One last question....

The only amd64 ISO for OMV v4 that I can find, based on the "download" link on this site's main page, seems to be here:

https://sourceforge.net/projec…_4.1.3-amd64.iso/download

but that doesn't appear to be the most-current version of v4, and its last Modified date shows as March of 2018.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I looking in the wrong place?

No, that is the latest ISO. The first thing I do after installing OMV is update it. If you install all updates from the updates tab or use omv-update from the command line, you will get the latest OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!