What File Share Protocol to use

    • OMV 4.x
    • Resolved
    • What File Share Protocol to use

      I am about to buy an Odroid-HC2 and plan to setup OMV on that for general backing up, and storing and sharing of media files (music and videos) over my local network.

      At the moment the following OSs exist in my house
      1. Windows 10 (PC)
      2. Apple (Macbook Pro OSX 10.11)
      3. Linux (Kodi Media Centre)
      As I understand it, each have their preferred File Share protocols. So which should I use when setting up OMV? Configuring all of them and using SMB for Windows, AFP for Mac and NFS for Linux seems inefficient to me and there's high chance of overlap and confusion (on my part).

      Are there any suggestions for how to approach this?
      Thanks :)
    • ekent wrote:

      Are there any suggestions for how to approach this?
      Using different protocols for the same shares is a recipe for disaster (unfortunately OMV allows this). Reasons: Copy files internally via ssh allowed?

      I would use SMB for data shares (even if this has downsides with Mac and Linux clients) and in case you want to use OMV as a TimeMachine backup appliance use a single different share with AFP for this.
    • tkaiser wrote:

      ing different protocols for the same shares is a recipe for disaster (unfortunately OMV allows this)
      I thought that might be the case.

      tkaiser wrote:

      I would use SMB for data shares (even if this has downsides with Mac and Linux clients) and in case you want to use OMV as a TimeMachine backup appliance use a single different share with AFP for this.
      Thanks @tkaiser, I appreciate the advice. I think I will want to use OMV as a TImeMachine backup, so I'll configure a single different share for that :) .
    • macom wrote:

      According to this post the AFP plugin will be dropped in OMV5 in favor of SMB. Is SMB an adequate alternative for this use case?
      Depends. OMV5 relies on Debian Buster which uses Samba 4.9 (sufficient). Then the vfs_fruit module needs to be enabled for all shares (reasons why) and for TM shares we need the appropriate share settings and mDNS notifications (and there are a lot more challenges wrt sharing the same filesystem with both AFP and SMB at the same time or formerly with AFP and now with SMB as it might be the situation with OMV5 upgrade installations)

      I don't know whether @votdev is also a Mac user and whether any of these detail issues has any relevance for OMV5 development.
    • SMB vfs_fruit is enabled for every share, so it can be used as time machine target.

      github.com/openmediavault/open…samba/files/shares.j2#L63


      The shares are announced via Avahi:

      github.com/openmediavault/open…services/files/smb.j2#L13
      Absolutely no support through PM!

      I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

      Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • tkaiser wrote:

      I would use SMB for data shares (even if this has downsides with Mac and Linux clients) and in case you want to use OMV as a TimeMachine backup appliance use a single different share with AFP for this.
      That´s the way I currently do it. SMB for transferring files even with my Macs. AFP just for one fileshare to run all TM backups. Will try vfs_fruit in the future to fully drop AFP.
      OMV stoneburner | HP Microserver | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD for system | 4x 2TB in a RAID5
      OMV erasmus| Odroid XU4 | 5TB Data drive | 500GB Backup drive
    • votdev wrote:

      SMB vfs_fruit is enabled for every share, so it can be used as time machine target
      That's good news, thank you! :)

      Do you think the feature is ready to be tested? I set up a TM server for ~45 Macs recently (in an automated fashion with ZFS datasets for each share, automatic server side snapshots and so on) and could fire up an OMV5 alpha VM to let the 5 'most problematic' Macs then also backup to this via SMB. Focus of the test would be robustness since I would choose only creative MacBook users who leave the office usually while a backup is running (TM over AFP can deal pretty great with such stuff in the meantime).
    • tkaiser wrote:

      Do you think the feature is ready to be tested? I set up a TM server for ~45 Macs recently (in an automated fashion with ZFS datasets for each share, automatic server side snapshots and so on) and could fire up an OMV5 alpha VM to let the 5 'most problematic' Macs then also backup to this via SMB. Focus of the test would be robustness since I would choose only creative MacBook users who leave the office usually while a backup is running (TM over AFP can deal pretty great with such stuff in the meantime).
      Yes, please test it. I do not have a Mac, so everything has been implemented based on documentation, FAQ's and HowTo's. Feel free to open a tracker issue if there is something missing or wrongly configured.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

      I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

      Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • tkaiser wrote:

      and in case you want to use OMV as a TimeMachine backup appliance use a single different share with AFP for this.
      Sorry for digging a little bit deeper, but a shared folder is meant, isn´t it? Or in other words one have to setup two different shares (Samba and AFP) which point to different shared folders?
      Only to my better understanding.
      OMV 3.0.90 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • votdev wrote:

      Yes, please test it. I do not have a Mac, so everything has been implemented based on documentation, FAQ's and HowTo's. Feel free to open a tracker issue if there is something missing or wrongly configured

      First TM backup via SMB is running. Works flawlessly out of the box. One thing to mention: since all SMB shares are also announced as being TM capable we might run into this old avahi bug once more than ~15 SMB shares are defined. I'll test it soon.
    • tkaiser wrote:

      votdev wrote:

      Yes, please test it. I do not have a Mac, so everything has been implemented based on documentation, FAQ's and HowTo's. Feel free to open a tracker issue if there is something missing or wrongly configured
      First TM backup via SMB is running. Works flawlessly out of the box. One thing to mention: since all SMB shares are also announced as being TM capable we might run into this old avahi bug once more than ~15 SMB shares are defined. I'll test it soon.
      Arggh... Hope it will work because i don't want to introduce an checkbox in the SMB settings to enable/disable TM support for the share.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

      I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

      Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • votdev wrote:

      Hope it will work because i don't want to introduce an checkbox in the SMB settings to enable/disable TM support for the share.
      Even if it works such a checkbox would be desirable since the client UI will list all available TM announcements while showing only 5 rows:



      With just a few SMB shares it already gets quite confusing here. But I'll collect my experiences and submit it in a batch later. Also reliability testing has highest focus for me now and as such after some quick performance benchmarks now I'll let a few more Macs backup via SMB so we get an idea in 2 or 3 weeks...
    • tkaiser wrote:

      votdev wrote:

      Hope it will work because i don't want to introduce an checkbox in the SMB settings to enable/disable TM support for the share.
      Even if it works such a checkbox would be desirable since the client UI will list all available TM announcements while showing only 5 rows:
      Really???? That's not possible, really bad UI design.


      tkaiser wrote:

      But I'll collect my experiences and submit it in a batch later.
      Can you please open a tracker issue for better feature/error tracking.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

      I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

      Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • votdev wrote:

      Can you please open a tracker issue for better feature/error tracking
      Will do so with real issues.

      Just a quick note: We tested also successfully a full restore (disaster recovery) in the meantime.
      • TM via SMB, btrfs as filesystem, 10GbE: ~65MB/s rate.
      • TM via AFP, ZFS as filesystem, 10GbE: ~54MB/s rate.
      Numbers aren't directly comparable due to different backup hosts and storage topologies but as a first test this really looks promising. We'll switch now into reliability testing mode the next weeks.
    • @tkaiser

      Can you test github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/pull/310? This PR adds a checkbox to enable/disable Time Machine support per SMB share.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

      I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

      Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit