Console colors make terminal data almost unreadable

• This being my first trial of OMV and considering my relative unfamiliarity with debian console, I have not been able to find a solution by Googling.
    I am using an old PC which gives me the necessary hardware option and the ISO installed without a hitch.
    I can find the system from my browser on the LAN, but the colors of the text in the debian console on the actual system make it almost impossible to read anything.
    The background is a very light grey, with a slightly lighter grey as the foreground color.
    I have played a bit with tput setxx, but, while I can change the colors with the satab/setaf command, the basic color saturation stay still at a very low level.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Use an SSH client on your local machine and configure it in any way you want Really no reason to have a display on your server, but even if there was.. I'm not aware of a way to change the color of console.

1. Log in to the webUI
    2. Click Users
    3. Create a New User (At the bottom where it says "Shell" you can choose any you like, but I think you'd probably find most prefer bash)
    4. Add new user to the "SSH" group by clicking the Groups tab in the new user window
    5. Go to Services/SSH
    6. Disable Root Login (You can leave this enabled if you want, but it's a very poor security practice)
    7. Restart SSH by clicking the Reset button
    8. Follow the instructions for whatever client you're using to SSH your server (username@serverip , or if you insist on using root... root@serverip )
    9. If you SSH'd as a user, and need to change to root for root privileges... type su then hit enter, then type your root password and you'll see the prompt change to root@servername
    10. Change the text font, color, etc (on the client) your liking.

(Note: I don't use Windows, below is just what I found w/ Google)..

I'm assuming you're using Windows...
    https://www.howtogeek.com/3367…0s-built-in-ssh-commands/

Once you've got Powershell running and have SSH'd your machine... Click the Menu in the Upper Left, Choose Properties... and change the Font/Colors to your liking.

• Thank you for the additional information.
    Removed the add-on video card and re-installed; all works a lot better now.
    Still getting to know the system, though. so I'm sure I have more questions ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to darken the text of a read only text fields (info fields, etc.) the following should do the trick:

Open /var/www/openmediavault/css/theme-all.scss in an editor. (If you don't have it yet, consider installing WinSCP on a windows client. It makes connecting to your OMV server by SSH, then navigating to, and editing config files, very easy.)

In WinSCP, get the theme-all.scss in the right hand window, right click on the file, select edit, and notepad.)

Using notepad I searched for "readonly textarea" and "set opacity:" to 1.0 Save it.

Restart your browser. Text will be dark in the browser dialog boxes, instead of light gray. Works great.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Also, there's an unofficial theme changer -> here. I use it to set a server name, in the top banner.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

BTW: @KM0201 , since you're a Linux Desktop user, I've found that WinSCP works on Linux in WINE. I'd be willing to use a Linux counterpart, but I haven't found anything like WinSCP for Linux.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you for the additional information.
    Removed the add-on video card and re-installed; all works a lot better now.
    Still getting to know the system, though. so I'm sure I have more questions ;)

Even with the console working to your liking now... It's still a good idea to learn how to use SSH (and it's probably about the most simple thing you can do). Since I'm assuming at some point you won't want a display hooked up to your server... and SSH is essentially like sitting in front of a display and pecking on a keyboard attached to the server... You're just doing it from a machine on your network.

Main reason you'll find SSH useful, is a lot of times if you need help... people will post commands they want you to run, and then give them the output to further troubleshoot the problem. If you have SSH access.. this is as simple as using your mouse to cut and paste.

Console... that's just not possible.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use WINE.. ever. I can't tell you the last time I installed it... I think it was back years ago when I played Pokerstars for money and they didn't have a Linux client. When our awesome Govt. 'nixed online poker tournaments for US residents... there was no reason for me to have it anymore. That's been several years.'

I've never used WinSCP, but all I need is SSH access. Don't need features, etc... so just using a terminal of my choice works just fine..

• Offizieller Beitrag

In this case, on a second read, I'm pretty sure I misunderstood the user.

I can find the system from my browser on the LAN, but the colors of the text in the debian console on the actual system make it almost impossible to read anything. The background is a very light grey, with a slightly lighter grey as the foreground color.

It seemed as if the contrast difference in text only fields was a problem. (I missed the "debian console" - i.e. a direct monitor hookup.)
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

Off topic but:
    No windows at all, Uh? Given M$ shenanigans, I'd given serious thought to doing the same when Win10 started filtering out. The constant fiddling around with the desktop alone, really started getting under my skin as of Win8. (Tiles? For cellphones with mini-screens, it works. With a full size monitor, it doesn't make sense IMO.)

I think I'd still use WinSCP, even if I went Linux only, because of Linux's directory structure. It's just not fully ingrained yet so navigating is a bit easier if I can "see it". But there's no replacement for SSH into the CLI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not use Filezilla. Is available for Win and Linux.

Hum,, I haven't used it for a very long time. (More like a predecessor from way back.) I just loaded it up.

Actually, the capabilities very similar. The only nit-pit I could find would be the permissions dialog. WinSCP allows selecting Owner and Group with drop downs, and setting the UID, GID and the Sticky bit with a checkbox. But, really that's not a big deal either. If I dump Windows, Filezilla might be the way to go.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have Windows on my laptop, but honestly... I think I booted it accidentally about 10mo ago.. and I was just looking to order something before I had to leave, so I just signed on to Windows to do it. Finished what I was doing, and Windows estimated it needed 90min to download and install updates (even though I have that disabled). I just left and let it do it's thing. Prior to that it had been quite some time since I booted it... probably over a year.

I've not regularly booted Windows in... probably close to 10yrs.. maybe longer. I don't really consider myself a "power user".. I don't code, don't program, etc.. but I know how to do what I need to do and generally can troubleshoot my systems pretty easily.

The file structure, etc.. it gets easier as time goes on. As far as "seeing it".. all of the popular file browsers (Nautilus, Dolphin, Thunar, PCManFM, and who knows how many others) can browse and read root directories and files under most circumstances. Editing them though, you'll likely have to do on command line (although there's plenty of ways to do so.. it's just generally not advised). You seem fairly well adept with OMV... I'm guessing the Linux desktop would be a minor inconvenience to learn, and it would simply be a matter of getting the software you want to use, to work under Linux.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've fiddled around with Linux desktop distro's for a long time, mostly those with KDE, and XFCE for hardware that's weak. KDE uses Dolphin which works fine.
    I'm using WinSCP only for OMV filesystem access and editing config files, from a Windows box.

Most of what burns me about Windows is a lack of choice. When I boot a computer, there are times when I need to use it versus waiting on something like "applying updates". (There should be a choice, with a "delay" option. And it wouldn't matter if I chose to delay indefinitely - that should be my choice.) It's the arrogance in "assuming" what I need, and forcing it, that's unacceptable. Being able to use a computer immediately after booting is more important since we moved, to get a look at a weather forecast and to look at the power companies "out of service" page. In the last week alone, we've been on generator twice. Once for close to a day and a second time for a few hours.

I delayed dropping Windows the first time, for the wife's job. The second time was for the forum. When I bought my last new PC, instead of dumping Win10 for Mint, the opportunity was there to dig out the reasons why Win10 wouldn't connect to OMV. And it helps keep that certain perspective Windows users have, for the purpose of writing doc's. (But, I must say, I'm debating it again. :) )

• The issue that I am having is that when I ssh into my omv server, there is an issue with the $TERM setting. The default $TERM is st-256color, but ssh doesn't seem to like the st-256color. For instance, if I make use of a curses application (for instance omv-firstaid), it fails to run. Even using less fails to work properly. So how can I change the $TERM definition?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!