Random Reboots?

• Hi all,
    Fairly new to OMV and been running it for about one month. I'm noticing a plaguing issue that I can't seem to figure out, and I was wondering if I could get some guidance on where to find what could be causing this. About once per day (at random hours,never consistent) my system is randomly rebooting. I check the system logs and the only information I see is that it rescans the drives at boot, and runs the boot up crons, etc. Is there a specific log that tells me what happened or what the error was before it did the reboot? Or any way I can figure this out?
    On a side note, I did notice my SSD system drive showing up with an alert in in the SMART panel saying there are bad sectors... I am planning to swap this drive once I figure out how to (attempt to) clone it, but I want to rule out that the reboots are not being caused by some other issue so I don't waste time cloning the drive, restoring and then having the same issue again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well I'll save you the hassle of cloning.. The last thing you want to do, is clone an OS/Drive that is giving you problems (any problems). You clone things that are in 100% working order, otherwise you could just be "restoring" the problem you are trying to fix.

If you're getting smart errors, I'd replace the SSD, but that's just me... or if you want to save a few bucks, use a flash drive and make sure you install and set up the flash memory plugin.

• Understood, and I agree... But I'd really like to check the log to make sure its not something I can easily fix that I did VS a potential drive failure. Outside of the SMART detection, I haven't noticed any weird issues yet. Obviously if its failed drive errors, I wouldnt bother cloning. But if its something dumb that I did and can correct, then i'd like to attempt it. I put several hours of work into my current build. Is there no way to tell via a log what triggered the reboot?

I appreciate the response.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't think of anything a user can do that is going to cause SMART errors.. so I'd still replace the drive. Take copious notes on how you have things configured at the moment and start again ground up. Once you're back up 100%, test the system for a few days to make sure all is working properly then image the drive if you desire.

• my SSD system drive showing up with an alert in in the SMART panel saying there are bad sectors

Can you provide full output of smartctl -q noserial -s on -x for your SSD drive?

Wrt reasons for reboots... without knowing anything about your hardware it's hard to diagnose. But I experienced spontaneous reboots so far only as being caused by hardware. I would run some stress tests to get a clue whether this can trigger a reboot or not. stress-ng comes to my mind here.

• If you're getting smart errors, I'd replace the SSD, but that's just me... or if you want to save a few bucks, use a flash drive and make sure you install and set up the flash memory plugin.

I do have a 32 GB flash drive just laying around. So if I go this route, I just need to install that flash addin? Is there any other configurations I could be missing?

Thank you for the tip, and the advice. Sounds like I have nice project on my hands for this weekend :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do have a 32 GB flash drive just laying around. So if I go this route, I just need to install that flash addin? Is there any other configurations I could be missing?

Thank you for the tip, and the advice. Sounds like I have nice project on my hands for this weekend :D

Once you install the flash memory plugin, there is some simple editing of fstab required. It's detailed on the plugins page in the webUI.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!