Standby HDD.

• Welcome.
    I have a question. How can I check if my disk is spin down. I have OMV witch only one disk. I use the NAS sometimes. I set power management the disk to: 1 - Minimum power usage with standby (spindown) after 10 min. I wait 10 min and theoretically disk should go spindown. hdparm shows drive state is: standby i think is OK, but i starting playing movie from NAS and the status from hdparm don't change. Still is : standby. How to really check is my drive spindown. I don't want to work my drive all the time.

• No.
    It is for sure sda. OMV is installed on the pendrive and it is mounted as sdb. I check it
    The platform is laptop motherboard, OMV is on the pendrive and storage is 1GB SATA hard drive:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    UUID=977e3531-bf48-4818-9c0e-a9033930214a / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
    UUID=44257688-4ee2-4c87-a9db-6e7d8e9ac315 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-label/HDD /srv/dev-disk-by-label-HDD ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2
    # <<< [openmediavault]

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    udev 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev
    tmpfs 384M 40M 344M 11% /run
    /dev/sdb1 3.5G 2.0G 1.3G 61% /
    tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /tmp
    /dev/sda1 916G 5.2G 911G 1% /srv/dev-disk-by-label-HDD

• From cli:
    hdparm -C /dev/sdb

you need to adjust sdb. Could be sba or sdc or something else.

Might not work on your system. What platform are you using and how did you connect the drive?

What is hdparm -c doing?
    Thanks.
    Fabian

MoBo: Fujitsu D3417-B
    CPU: Intel Celeron G3900
    RAM: Samsung DDR4 - 8 GB ECC
    Case: Fractal Design Node 80
    HDD: SSD 64GB (System), 2*3TB+1*4TB (Data) + 1*4TB (Parity). UnionFS + Snapraid
    OMV 4
    Router: Fritzbox 7590

• In my case command -Y or -y doesn't work. Hdparm returns: issuing sleep command but the drive don't turn off. I have all the time access to the share folders via smb protocol. I try even execute hdparm - Y when i watch film from OMV and nothing happend.

• watch film

Not the best test. On both server and client (movie player) stuff gets buffered. If you test all the time with the same files and have a sufficient amount of RAM chances are pretty high that no storage access happens at all since everything is already in RAM.

Another test with HDDs is to use smartctl -a. An active/idle drive returns information immediately while with a drive in standby/sleeping state it will take some time. If you do a hdparm -Y followed by a smartctl -a and the latter takes longer than a second the drive was sleeping.

• Is is there a list with all options for hdparm?
    Thanks.
    F.

OMV 4

• On Linux and Unix systems there's something called a manual and often more modern info pages. So you simply do man hdparm and info hdparm.

Ok.
    For man hdparm I get this:
    -bash: man: Kommando nicht gefunden
    Same for info hdparm.
    If I only enter hdparm I get a list with all options.
    Thanks.
    Fabian

EDIT:
    I tried hdparm -c before...see above... ?(
    So I now figured out that the small "c" means: get/set IDE 32-bit IO setting.

Did I now set some value?
    I got back this:
    IO_support = 1 (32-bit)

Is this a problem - should I redo something?
    Thanks

OMV 4

• the drive's state: active, standby, sleeping or unknown.

Ok, I get back standby. What does it mean. Is it spinning?
    Thanks.
    Fabian

OMV 4

• For man hdparm I get this:
    -bash: man: Kommando nicht gefunden

Are you using the official OMV ISO? If so then obviously @votdev decided to leave out documentation and as such an apt install man-db would be needed first. You find those manual pages also online (though no idea whether always showing the correct version): hdparm manual page --> https://linux.die.net/man/8/hdparm

I get back standby. What does it mean. Is it spinning?

Shouldn't. With all the HDDs I have standby/sleep are the same and the platters aren't spinning any more.

• Yes, it is the official OMV - download.
    I just installed it - and now it is working. This is a great help.

My NAS is somewhere in a closet - and mostly my children are so loud that I can not listen if the drives are spinning ;)

So thanks for you info.

Any idea if I did something bad with this:

Thanks for you big help.
    Best.
    Fabian

OMV 4

• Any idea if I did something bad with this

I don't think you can cause any harm with hdparm -c today since most stuff included in hdparm are relicts from last century when we had IDE and EIDE and switching to 32-bit was an improvement.

As far as i remember the man pages are not installed to reduce the size of the ISO file.

Thanks for confirmation. Makes sense with OMV's purpose in mind but I need to ask such questions to prevent me giving silly advice (I use OMV on ARM devices where situation wrt help and debug resources contained in the OMV images is completely different)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!