What does the flash plugin do with folders that are too large for RAM?

• I have a program installed that generates lots of log data (gigabytes-worth). The program writes the logs to /var/log and I am wondering how the flash plugin handles the log folder when it gets to be too large for RAM. Will it write the data permanently to the disk and clear itself out, or will it just get too big and switch to using the disk as normal? I made the mistake of not using the flash plugin with the previous SSD that I had installed and it died prematurely probably because of this. I would like to avoid this happening again with my new SSD so I am going to use the plugin, but I want to make sure that I have it set up to work properly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin uses tmpfs which defaults to half your ram. If you fill it, it is full just like any filesystem. The difference is half your ram is full too. So, your app will just stop logging (and maybe fail depending on the app).

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The plugin uses tmpfs which defaults to half your ram. If you fill it, it is full just like any filesystem. The difference is half your ram is full too. So, your app will just stop logging (and maybe fail depending on the app).

Okay. Honestly I do not want the logs to be saved but I have not been able to figure out how to disable them so I will just live with it. I noticed that when I look at the output of df -h, there are file systems that are tmpfs, but there are also filesystems listed as folder2ram. The /var/log folder is one of the folders that is listed that way. Is that significant in any way?

• Offizieller Beitrag

there are file systems that are tmpfs, but there are also filesystems listed as folder2ram. The /var/log folder is one of the folders that is listed that way. Is that significant in any way?

The filesystems listed as folder2ram are the ones controlled by folder2ram which uses tmpfs. The entries listed as tmpfs are from the OS not folder2ram.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• How frequently do the folders that are stored in RAM get written to the disk?

AFAIK only at shutdown/reboot. You need to define a cronjob that does this from time to time:

• Offizieller Beitrag

AFAIK only at shutdown/reboot

Correct.

You need to define a cronjob that does this from time to time:

Only if you care about the log files and/or monitoring data.

• AFAIK only at shutdown/reboot. You need to define a cronjob that does this from time to time:

Correct.

Only if you care about the log files and/or monitoring data.

Excellent, thank you! I only care about saving the graph data so I added an hourly cron job that runs folder2ram -sync 5. This outputs:

Code
    will sync only mountpoint 5
    sync of /var/lib/rrdcached successful!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!