One data pool for different docker items..

• In setting up my test server I have been following the videos from Techno Dad for Plex and NextCloud. Everything went perfectly and I was ready to do my actual NAS build but something just hit me. Plex has a music and videos folder and NextCloud has a music and videos folder, but they are not the same folder. Now I would probably never use NextCloud for playing my music or videos. It's mostly going to be for my documents, but it did get me thinking about in the future for other things.

How do you create one data pool that different docker plugins can access so you don't have to have multiple copies of the same data on the server? Is it done during the container setup part and how I setup my Volumes and Mounts?

Right now if I wanted my music collection to be in both Plex and NextCloud I would have to have two copies of every song on the server and micro manage each one everytime I add to my music collection. I can't imagine that's how it works or maybe it does.

Thanks for any help...

• You define the data sources in the docker via Volume and Bind mounts. You can use the same ones for more than one container.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I figured that's how it worked, but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the clarification.

One last thing. Can I just edit an existing container to point to the same /data link or is it best to start new with Plex and NextCloud and choose the same data folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You get a +1 for actually testing rather than flying by the seat of your pants..lol.

I have a VM set up just for testing and don't like messing with my NAS unless necessary. Any new plugin, container, etc.. gets set up in VM first as a test.

• When I tried to change the nextcloud data link, nextcloud would not let me log in because of a missing file (ocdata if I recall). So what I did was dump my music in the existing nextcloud music folder and then edited my folders in plex to point to those directories and it all worked out. Maybe not the best way to do it, but since it's just a test server right now I will use it this way for now. When I setup my actual build I will do it the right way and make one 'Data' folder for everything before I create my containers for Plex and NextCloud.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!