Harddrive write error on only one specific disk

• I am running on a HP mini server with 4 Slots on OMV V3

two of the slots are 8 tb Barracudas and on is a 3 TB
    It worked for a long time but no I get write errors if I write to one of the 8 TB Harddisks

I am running ext4 on both 8TB the error disc has still 1.74 TB space left

I changed all network cables swapt the two 8 TB harddisks in their slots but it is only the one disk that is causing
    write error and unexpected Network failure message0x8007003B in Windows

What i do not understand if I watch movies from this disk it is working with no problem but as
    soon as I want to write something over the network it stops after a few MBs
    then the file is locked and cannot be overwritten or deleted but shows the full size of file I wanted to copy

only reboot seems to unlock

I have no idea what this could be the cause or how to investigate the Problem
    Pinging during the copy seems fine no losses

Can somebody please help to investigate?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The drive may be failing? I hope you have good backups?

Check the SMART values for the driver and/or run chkfs on the filsystem on the drive.

SMART values can be checked from the OMV gui. To run chkfs you need to unmount the driver and use the command line.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Thanks for your help!

I did not find a error concerning SMART run the test on the disk without any error message

Instead what I found was something about an smtp error
    Mar 13 14:54:55 omvHP1 postfix/smtp[1572]: fatal: missing host information in server description: :25
    Mar 13 14:54:56 omvHP1 postfix/qmgr[1274]: warning: private/smtp socket: malformed response
    Mar 13 14:54:56 omvHP1 postfix/qmgr[1274]: warning: transport smtp failure -- see a previous warning/fatal/panic logfile record for the problem description
    Mar 13 14:54:56 omvHP1 postfix/master[1272]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/smtp pid 1572 exit status 1
    Mar 13 14:54:56 omvHP1 postfix/master[1272]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/smtp: bad command startup -- throttling
    Mar 13 14:54:56 omvHP1 postfix/error[1573]: 6356413C02F5: to=<root@omvHP1.localdomain>, orig_to=<root>, relay=none, delay=2275, delays=2274/1.2/0/0.05, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (unknown mail transport error)

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the SMTP Protocol?
    I cannot even run the syslog for the Cifs Protokol it throws an error.
    So is there a possibiltiy to clean uninstall and reenstall the SMTP service?

after copy and network error I see the copied and failed file in the cifs section as being locked

I would like for safty reason do the manual chekfs but even if I shutdown the smtp/cifs the unmount button in Hardisks is greyed out

is there an commandline that force the unlock of my /dev/sdc?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!