ssd drive help

• Hi All,

I'm working on a new install. using omv 4.13
    When i get to the step to Fstab, i change the 2 lines as per the instructions.
    when i reboot, the gui keeps hanging with pop ups saying, failed to connect to socket, no such file or directory.

What am i doing wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi All,

I'm working on a new install. using omv 4.13
    When i get to the step to Fstab, i change the 2 lines as per the instructions.
    when i reboot, the gui keeps hanging with pop ups saying, failed to connect to socket, no such file or directory.

What am i doing wrong?

What are you trying to change in fstab? Are you trying to enable the flash plugin installer?

• Post your original fstab and the edits you made to it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ssh into the box and edit fstab as per the plugin guide.
    When I reboot the system is read only.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

You made the fstab entry incorrectly then, and have made the root partition read only.

I'm not 100% sure, but with the root partition now being read only... you may have to reinstall.

• You made the fstab entry incorrectly then, and have made the root partition read only.
    I'm not 100% sure, but with the root partition now being read only... you may have to reinstall.

Many times a tiny form or format edit error in fstab will lead to a filesystem being mounted read only. Fixing this would not require a reinstall.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Many times a tiny form or format edit error in fstab will lead to a filesystem being mounted read only. Fixing this would not require a reinstall.

Even on the root partition? How would you save changes to fstab after you've edited the file properly? No doubt you can fix a filesystem that is read only, I'm only concerned because he has made the root partition read only.

I've never had the issue but I've seen others have it over the years and I don't think I've saw a solution past reinstalling.

• The OP never said he made the rootfs RO. He said it would up being mounted RO after a reboot but not how it became that way.

If the rootfs winds up being mounted RO, then you can forcibly remount it RW from the command line:

mount -o rw,remount /

Then you can edit and save changes to fstab. I would also force a fsck on the next reboot:

touch /forcefsck

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Thanks for the help.
    I reinstalled, the same thing happened 3 times in a row after 3 fresh installs. Not sure what I was doing wrong.
    So I installed the flash drive plugin, but did not do the commands, I'm assuming the commands are extra settings. The plugin is installed, so it should already be working.
    Am I correct with this logic?

• How can anyone suggest what you may have done wrong if you won't show what you did?

The edits to fstab are required.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, he didn't say specifically he made the root partition read only, but when he said, "I made the 2 adjustments per the instructions"... I could only logically assume that he was installing the flashmemory plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the help.
    I reinstalled, the same thing happened 3 times in a row after 3 fresh installs. Not sure what I was doing wrong.
    So I installed the flash drive plugin, but did not do the commands, I'm assuming the commands are extra settings. The plugin is installed, so it should already be working.

If it is read only every single time you do it, then it's clearly something you are doing.... The fstab edits are required so even if it's installed, if you don't do the fstab commands, it's not running.

Post your original fstab

Then try to edit again and post your fstab before you save it.

• No, he didn't say specifically he made the root partition read only, but when he said, "I made the 2 adjustments per the instructions"... I could only logically assume that he was installing the flashmemory plugin.

What do you think might happen when you have an fstab option like this, as specified in the flashmemory plugin instructions and you introduce an error in the edit?

errors=remount-ro

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you think might happen when you have an fstab option like this, as specified in the flashmemory plugin instructions and you introduce an error in the edit?
    errors=remount-ro

I'm not disputing he did something wrong (he's clearly not editing fstab correctly). This has happened before when people have made improper edits to fstab while setting up the flashmemory plugin. I've never saw someone able to mount root as rw again so they could make proper changes to fstab and save them, but it's not really an issue I actively follow either.

If what you're saying above works and he can mount the root filesystem rw again, then this should be a fairly simple fix, he just needs to do that and then make the proper adjustments to stab.

• The remount command I suggested works. I have used it many times myself when something went wrong somewhere and my rootfs wound up being remounted RO, and none of those occasions had anything to do with editing fstab incorrectly.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, the modifications to fstab are optional. Next time you change fstab make a copy first.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin is installed, so it should already be working.

You can do df -h
    If you see folder2ram entries in the list, the plugin is working.

Code
    folder2ram      999M  278M  721M  28% /var/log
    folder2ram      999M  4.0K  999M   1% /var/tmp
    folder2ram      999M  316K  999M   1% /var/lib/openmediavault/rrd
    folder2ram      999M  1.4M  998M   1% /var/spool
    folder2ram      999M   15M  984M   2% /var/lib/rrdcached
    folder2ram      999M  8.0K  999M   1% /var/lib/monit
    folder2ram      999M  4.0K  999M   1% /var/lib/php
    folder2ram      999M     0  999M   0% /var/lib/netatalk/CNID
    folder2ram      999M  524K  998M   1% /var/cache/samba
  • So you think not specifying noatime and nodiratime and not disabling swap are good ideas?

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

So you think not specifying noatime and nodiratime and not disabling swap are good ideas?

Editing fstab and having a not usable system is not a good idea. Having the flash memory plugin installed is a good idea. Making these changes to fstab and make them working is an even better idea.

• This thread is going nowhere. OP seems to expect that saying something doesn't work without answering any questions or providing any details will suddenly cause mindreaders to join the forum.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!