Backup to an old NAS

• I have an old Buffalo NAS from 2008 that still works. My OMV NAS is replacing it because it can do more. I was thinking of using the old one as a backup source for the new one instead of an external usb drive. Is there a way to do this via a plugin or docker? I've read threads about how to backup to an external drive, but didn't know if the steps would be the same or if there was a better way.

Thanks for any info...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I only backup to other servers.

Just mount the OMV server somewhere on the old NAS and run rsync to backup the OMV NAS to the old NAS. I'm pretty certain that the old NAS supports mounting remote shares, running rsync and cron jobs.

It may be dangerous to mount the old NAS on the OMV NAS and run the backup from the OMV side. The reason is that a dropped connection or other problems may cause rsync to spew files to the mount point, and fill the OMV NAS. Possibly crashing OMV.

I use autofs to mount remote shares, not OMV, and I only run rsync in pull mode, never push.

• In reading up on it, it seems that my old NAS doesn't support rsync and the only directions I found for replication would be between two Terastations. So I may go at this differently and put together another OMV server out of some old parts I have lying around and use it simply as a backup for my main OMV server. I'm sure I could do it that way with rsync. Or I could simply manually backup my files from one server to the other, but that would be a pain. I would rather it be done automatically and in real time if possible. Guess I could also use some kind of backup software to copy from one network drive to another, but i'd rather have the server handle it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In reading up on it, it seems that my old NAS doesn't support rsync

It doesn't need to (support rsync).

You can "push" data from OMV, to your old NAS, using the Remote Mount plugin and rsync on OMV. All you need is a username + password with write access to the Buffalo box. (Most likely, your Windows username and password has write access.)

Once the Buffalo network share is mounted in OMV, it's almost the same as having the share local. (Even when setting up the Rsync job, in OMV, you would use the "local" job setting.)

• I can try that but the gentleman above said it is dangerous to push data from OMV to the Buffalo NAS so I was trying to figure out how to do it the way he suggested. Being such a newbie, I just do what i'm told. :) If you think it's okay to push the data, I will do that instead.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I push with rsync all the time but I use rsyncd (server) not the remote mount plugin or autofs. So, i don't have to worry about mounts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There has been threads where users report full rootfs and crashed OMV. I suspect that is from writing to a mount point in the root fs that is not mounted, for some reason.

I prefer not to take the chance. And using rsyncd is a good way. However I have found that syncs are slower over SSH than over nfs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There has been threads where users report full rootfs and crashed OMV. I suspect that is from writing to a mount point in the root fs that is not mounted, for some reason.

Most of them are using remote mount or a usb drive that didn't mount for some reason (like the remote server is off). I would probably avoid pushing in those cases.

However I have found that syncs are slower over SSH than over nfs.

While rsync can run over ssh, using rsync to rsyncd without specifying ssh specific config isn't using ssh - just pure rsync protocol. So, my syncs usually saturate the gigabit connection.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you think it's okay to push the data, I will do that instead.

With a nod to @Adoby 's caution RE mount points on a boot drive, are you still interested in pushing to the Buffalo Box? I've pushed before, using two hosts on a local LAN without any negative effects, but I have to add a caveat on that. I didn't run that setup for long periods of time. The risk Adoby mentioned could be mitigated, depending on what you plan to use as a boot drive and with OS backup.

I believe that having a backup on a fully independent platform (such as the Buffalo box) is better than an external drive. (But that's my opinion.)

• Well I got it working sort of. Instead of using rsync directly from the webUI, I used command line code in shellinabox since there was no way to enter the necessary commands directly from the webUI. Would love to figure out how to make it automated doing it the way I had to, but at least for now I have a way to do it even if it has to be done manually.

If nothing else, at least I learned a little from all of this. I would like to more proficient as using CLI commands so any chance I get to learn something new is always a plus.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When it comes to the command line; I don't have the raw Linux experience the rest of these guys have, in this thread, so I sort of "back into" CLI implementations based on observations of the way things are done in the GUI, a bit of poking around in the confg files on the boot drive, and man page lookups.

While Shellinabox works fine, you might want to take a look at a SSH client like PuTTY. (There's nothing wrong with Shellinabox - PuTTY is just an alternative that has a few extra capabilities.)

since there was no way to enter the necessary commands directly from the webUI. Would love to figure out how to make it automated doing it the way I had to

Actually, there's a way to do both.

If you like the rsync command line you have now, you can automate it in two ways:
    1. Set the command line in Scheduled Tasks. Following are a few command lines I run from one server's GUI, solely for convenience.

If automated in this way and your notification details are filled in, you can set automated E-mail reporting. Alternately, if you don't enable the Job, you can run it manually from time to time, using the run button.

2. You could set a cron job, to run your command line but that's a bit on the labor intensive side, when the above (Scheduled Jobs) offers a few extras (like reports).

As a precaution, don't forget to backup your boot drive. There's a plugin that supports that or, if you're booting from a USB drive, you might find the cloning process in this -> Guide to be useful.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!