/etc is group writable

• Does anyone know why OMV installs with /etc as group-writable? I suppose it wouldn't affect anything because the group is root, but would it cause an issue to change it back to normal Debian permissions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV itself doesn't change it. Installing fresh Debian 9 and then the openmediavault package, /etc is still only owner writable. I also found no code in OMV or any of the plugins that would change the permissions. So, this only happens with OMV 4.x systems installed using the OMV iso. Something must have changed in the iso creation that sets it initially.

Since root is the group owner and the setgid bit isn't set, I don't see any problem with this though. Why do you want to change it?

@votdev

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OMV itself doesn't change it. Installing fresh Debian 9 and then the openmediavault package, /etc is still only owner writable. I also found no code in OMV or any of the plugins that would change the permissions. So, this only happens with OMV 4.x systems installed using the OMV iso. Something must have changed in the iso creation that sets it initially.

Since root is the group owner and the setgid bit isn't set, I don't see any problem with this though. Why do you want to change it?

@votdev

Yes, I installed through the OMV iso (latest on sourceforge as of a couple of weeks ago). I verified it with two installations. I have one installation on bare metal that I am setting up to be my main system. I also have a more barebones install in Proxmox just for testing. I see it in both. The only thing out of the box I installed was OMV extras.

The only reason why I want to change it, and did change it was because I installed ufw (on the bare metal install only) which threw up a warning.

• I also tried 4.0.14 - same result with writable permissions. I thought that it could be related to a debian installation with root only and no regular user accounts created at startup. This wasn't the case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also tried 4.0.14 - same result with writable permissions. I thought that it could be related to a debian installation with root only and no regular user accounts created at startup. This wasn't the case.

Most of my permanent installs were upgraded from OMV 3.x or older. They don't have the issue. So, something changed with the OMV 4.x iso.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!