Windows can access a share, Ubunto can't

• Hi,
    I've just installed OMV.
    I've created a share and Windows can connect to it without any problem, but Ubuntu 16.04 can't:

Code
    sudo mount -v -t cifs //192.168.20.121/Multimedia /mnt/varie/ -o username=WORKGROUP/desktop
    Password for WORKGROUP/desktop@//192.168.20.121/Multimedia:  ******
    mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.20.121,unc=\\192.168.20.121\Multimedia,user=WORKGROUP/desktop,pass=********
    mount error(13): Permission denied
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

These are the line in the samba log that seems more relevant to me:

Code
    Mar 18 16:54:16 omv smbd[4396]:   check_sam_security: Couldn't find user 'WORKGROUP/desktop' in passdb.

Mar 18 16:54:16 omv smbd[4396]:   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [WORKGROUP/desktop] -> [WORKGROUP/desktop] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Mar 18 16:54:16 omv smbd[4396]:   No such user WORKGROUP/desktop [OMV] - using guest account

I've used the user desktop with Windows and with Ubuntu and the workgroup is WORKGROUP.
    I've checked the privileges and ACL.
    Here is the full samba log:

I've search around but without any luck.
    Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you using a Desktop on 16.04, or is this a server?

If you have a Desktop, just open a file browser (Nautilus, Thunar, caja.. whatever) and type the path smb://your_nas_IP

You should see your smb shares there, and simply need to enter your nas username/password when prompted. Assuming you have a desktop, I've never had to do all that to use an SMB share.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is usually a recipe to get inferior SMB performance caused by gvfs-smb, see https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=776339

Hmm. I always figured it was my craptacular Laptop that was causing crappy SMB speeds (it's just as bad w/ NFS). I write to my shares so little from my SMB, and usually when I do, it's small files (backup configurations from home) so I don't pay it much attention.

Gotta get ready to go deal w/ the yahoos, but I'll look into that more Wed.

• Have you already tried -o username=desktop?

Yes, no luck :(

Are you using a Desktop on 16.04, or is this a server?

If you have a Desktop, just open a file browser (Nautilus, Thunar, caja.. whatever) and type the path smb://your_nas_IP

You should see your smb shares there, and simply need to enter your nas username/password when prompted. Assuming you have a desktop, I've never had to do all that to use an SMB share.

I've tried with Nautilus too, but with the same result: the password is never accepted

• Mar 18 16:54:16 omv smbd[4396]: check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [WORKGROUP/desktop] -> [WORKGROUP/desktop] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
    Mar 18 16:54:16 omv smbd[4396]: [2019/03/18 16:54:16.582267, 3] ../source3/auth/auth_util.c:1611(do_map_to_guest_server_info)
    Mar 18 16:54:16 omv smbd[4396]: No such user WORKGROUP/desktop [OMV] - using guest account

The above tells that you were authenticating as an unknown user 'WORKGROUP/desktop' and as such a fallback to the guest account happened. I would assume what you're trying to achieve is to use a user called 'desktop' being allowed to access the shares you created? I also assume you created this user 'desktop' (not 'WORKGROUP/desktop') in the OMV UI through a browser, right?

Anyway: what happens if you create a new user called 'lalala' with password 'lala123' in the OMV UI and then connect with exactly these credentials from the outside?

• the only logical explanation is you're entering the wrong credentials

Not necessarily. OMV when updating passwords calls smbpasswd to not only update the system's password database but also Samba's own (needed for older client authentication attempts). So there are corner cases where an existing user with a valid password can access with modern SMB clients but fails with old authentication methods. That's why I asked whether the user has been created with the OMV UI or not.

• The above tells that you were authenticating as an unknown user 'WORKGROUP/desktop' and as such a fallback to the guest account happened. I would assume what you're trying to achieve is to use a user called 'desktop' being allowed to access the shares you created? I also assume you created this user 'desktop' (not 'WORKGROUP/desktop') in the OMV UI through a browser, right?
    Anyway: what happens if you create a new user called 'lalala' with password 'lala123' in the OMV UI and then connect with exactly these credentials from the outside?

I've created the user as "desktop", not as "WORKGROUP/desktop", but in the samba configuration I see "Workgroup: WORKGROUP"

By the way, I've created another user and it...can connect...what the heck!
    So I've executed smbpasswd desktop and..solved!
    Thanks a lot tkaiser!!!

P.s. I've inserted an image but I kept getting the message The message is too long, must be under 10,000 characters. so I had to remove it, it was just a small screenshot of the workgroup setting in samba

• I've created the user as "desktop", not as "WORKGROUP/desktop", but in the samba configuration I see "Workgroup: WORKGROUP"

But still the user account is just 'desktop' and there's no need to specify 'WORKGROUP' (maybe within Windows when using the net commands -- it's such a long time I dealt the last time with Windows...)

Anyway: glad you resolved it. And it's a bit scary that Ubuntu uses the rather weak NTLM authentication method. That's stuff from last Century :(

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!