Low speed to acess SMB share in MAC OS X Sierra

• We use OMV server as dataserver to video production. Server and workstations has 10G ethernet link and hardware RAID6 (36 6TB SATA disks) (Adaptec 8885Q). Now we use AFP shares, and it works with datarates near 850 magabytes/sec read/write. We want to change AFP sharing to SMB. But if we mount disks by smb datarates is near 130 megabytes in MAC stations. In windows workstations al work good (same datarates as AFP in MAC os). I sink? this is problem in MACOS SMB protokol realization? but maybe we need to change something in the settings of OMV.

• if we mount disks by smb datarates is near 130 megabytes in MAC stations

Do you mount them using smb:// or cifs://? And which OMV version are you using?

The good news: Starting with OMV5 SMB support for Mac clients will improve, see preliminary benchmark numbers with a rather slow hardware setup: https://github.com/openmediava…01#issuecomment-468270197

• We mount drives as smb://

Ok, that's good since with cifs:// the Finder would try to establish a SMB1 connection. Anyway: I believe you should wait for OMV5 being available since the integrated Samba version then will better deal with Mac client behavior. You can read a bit about the various challenges involved here: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/5904

• We use OMV server as dataserver to video production. Server and workstations has 10G ethernet link and hardware RAID6 (36 6TB SATA disks) (Adaptec 8885Q). Now we use AFP shares, and it works with datarates near 850 magabytes/sec read/write. We want to change AFP sharing to SMB. But if we mount disks by smb datarates is near 130 megabytes in MAC stations. In windows workstations al work good (same datarates as AFP in MAC os). I sink? this is problem in MACOS SMB protokol realization? but maybe we need to change something in the settings of OMV.

Up to a point Apple used SAMBA, then they removed it & shipped with their own proprietary version. That version sucked, defaulting to SMB1. All through this saga Macolytes & Apple support insisted it was our servers not their OS. Following revisions of MacOS then reverted to SAMBA & things went back to normal. The Macolytes & Apple were full of it.
    You will need to use a search engine to check the version of MacOS you have against SMB to see if your are affected.
    I'm sorry I have forgotten the dates, we stopped using Mac during this nonsense (as it dragged on for a long time).

• Up to a point Apple used SAMBA, then they removed it & shipped with their own proprietary version

They stopped using Samba as SMB server component with 10.7 eight years ago and replaced it with their own SMBX (for reasons). This issue here is about the SMB client in macOS (that was never based on Samba) and performance issues against Samba. So pretty much unrelated what Apple did with the SMB server component in macOS over time.

If you check the links above you get can get a few of the challenges involved and that performance in this situation with OMV5 will be ok-ish. The links are there for a reason to enable @kselltrum to check for potential better smb.conf contents so maybe he's able to improve performance between macOS and Samba 4.5 even today.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!