Missing space on boot drive...

• Been running my test omv server off a usb drive. It's a 16gb drive and that's the way it shows up in my Disks listing (14.6gb actual capacity). In my file systems listing, it only shows 6.57gb capacity and I have used 5.69gb so it's highlighted in red since i'm almost out of space. It wasn't always like this so somewhere along the line I must have done something to make this happen.

Would anyone have any ideas on how I can free up the space that seems to be missing or why it is only listed as a 6.57gb capacity under files system?

I do use the flash memory plugin if that matters. Other than that, I don't do much with it. Just Plex and NextCloud at the moment since it is just a test. I just want to get an idea of what could have happened so I can avoid doing it again when I build my real OMV server. Thanks for any help...

EDIT: Seems my /var folder is 3.9gb. How would I go about finding out what in that folder is taking up the space and how to flush it?

EDIT2: In reading around, it might have to do with me playing around with rsync trying to figure out how to sync to my old NAS system and the logs it created, but none of the places I read mentioned how to clean it up.

• How large is /var/lib/plexmediaserver ? You do not want that on the rootfs as it can grow to be quote large.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Not to sound stupid, but what is the command to check that file size?

Actually, it appears that folder doesn't exist unless I am doing something wrong. I still think it has to do with me messing around with rsync in some way because I have had plex installed for awhile now and this never happened. Then today I mess with rsync and the problem shows up.

EDIT: My /var/lib folder says it's 6.9g when I check folder sizes. Going to try and check each folder size in the list for the lib folder to see what's using the space.

EDIT2: It's my /var/lib/docker/overlay2 folder that is using the space if I am reading the df -h output correctly. It says that folder is using the exact amount of space that my file system listing says I have used up. Does that make sense and if so, what can be done about it? Can I safely delete files from this folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thats one issue with the Plex plugin, vs the Plex docker. With the Docker, you can put your database on one of your storage drives... To my knowledge, that's not an option with the plugin.

Truth be told, 6.9gigs is a pretty small Plex folder. I've saw more than a few topping out 100gigs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/…rlibplexmediaserver_95gb/

• But I used the Plex Docker, not the plugin and I don't have a plexmediaserver folder anywhere on my boot drive so I don't know if plex is the issue.

So basically, there is nothing I can do to cleanup this docker/overlay2 folder? If that's the case, how is this not a problem for more people using smaller drives as boot devices?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is possible to copy /var/lib/plexmediaserver to the filesystem on the HDD and link /var/lib/plexmediaserver to that location. I did this before I started using Emby in Docker. This is especially important if you have the rootfs on a SD card. By moving /var/lib/plexmediaserver from the SD card (or a normal USB thumbdrive) to the hdd you get more space, better performance and less wear on the card.

• It is possible to copy /var/lib/plexmediaserver to the filesystem on the HDD and link /var/lib/plexmediaserver to that location. I did this before I started using Emby in Docker. This is especially important if you have the rootfs on a SD card. By moving /var/lib/plexmediaserver from the SD card (or a normal USB thumbdrive) to the hdd you get more space, better performance and less wear on the card.

Yes, but as I said above, I don't have a plexmediafolder on the root drive in the /var/lib directory unless it is a hidden directory. But using 'ls' to view what's in the /var//lib folder shows no plexmediaserver directory.

• Im not really sure what that folder does. Are you storing your containers on the OS drive, or did you set up a folder on your storage drives to store them? That unfortunately is something that is missed in a lot of tutorials.

I used the docker to setup the containers and I thought I pointed everything to my storage drives when setting them up. I pretty much followed Techno Dad''s tutorials so they went where he directed them to go. I am almost certain everything is pointed at my sharedfolders directory which I know is on my storage drive.

In the end, this is not a huge issue right now because it is only a test server. When I do my actual server, I am going to use a 160gb HDD I got off Amazon for $20 so space won't be an issue then. I would just love to know what happened though because I am the curious type and want to learn new things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, this is something I think that is missed in Technodad's videos (or I missed it)...

Click Docker in the OMV panel, and then click Settings. You'll see the drop down box where you can choose a folder you've created under Shared Folders... This is where you store your containers.

If you look under that drop down box, there is this message:

"The location of the Docker base path (this setting is optional and defaults to /var/lib/docker if unset). The plugin must be enabled for a change to be committed"...

So if you don't choose anything there, all your containers are saved to /var/lib/docker (see if that folder is very large on your box).

One thing to keep in mind if you're using mergerfs, is for some reason putting that folder on a union filesystem, you'll have all sorts of problems. It is best to create a shared folder for your containers that is on one of the singular drives filesystems.

It may not be a huge issue now... but like I said, I've saw several plex folders top out over 100gigs.. and the amount of writing done, etc... I personally would want it on my storage drives.

• My Plex database was over 250GB before I made the decision to stop generating (and dispose of existing) video preview thumbnails.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• That is the folder that is taking up the space. I verified that last night. Is there anything that can be done about it now or should I just make a note of it in my head to change it when I do my actual server? Do I need to make a folder with a specific name on my storage drive or can I just name it something like Docker_Base_Paths? Lastly, I will most likely be using RAID 1 on two 2TB Red drives. If I understand your directions correctly, are you saying I should add a third drive that is not in any array and use it to store the container info instead of having it my Raid array?

Thanks a million for the help. That explains what's going on.

EDIT: I just tried changing it to a shared folder and my dockers images and containers disappeared. I set it back to none and they reappeared so I guess on this test server it has to stay the way I have it for now unless I want to recreate all my Docker images\containers. Or can I copy to contents of /var/lib/docker in some way to that shared folder and then change the docker settings option?

• Changing the location of the Docker base path does not copy the data from the old path to the new path. You have to do that yourself. Once done and you have verified everything works you can delete the data from the old path.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• I don't have an answer for you about putting it on a RAID1. I don't use RAID here.

--

• OK. I moved everything over to my shared drive and all is working fine. Got my missing space back on the boot drive so it's all good. Thanks again for the help. Will make a note of this to make sure I do it when I build my real server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is the folder that is taking up the space. I verified that last night. Is there anything that can be done about it now or should I just make a note of it in my head to change it when I do my actual server? Do I need to make a folder with a specific name on my storage drive or can I just name it something like Docker_Base_Paths? Lastly, I will most likely be using RAID 1 on two 2TB Red drives. If I understand your directions correctly, are you saying I should add a third drive that is not in any array and use it to store the container info instead of having it my Raid array?
    Thanks a million for the help. That explains what's going on.

EDIT: I just tried changing it to a shared folder and my dockers images and containers disappeared. I set it back to none and they reappeared so I guess on this test server it has to stay the way I have it for now unless I want to recreate all my Docker images\containers. Or can I copy to contents of /var/lib/docker in some way to that shared folder and then change the docker settings option?

It's really nothing you done.. like I said this is not addressed in any of the docker tutorials I saw... the long one on this forum, none of the videos, etc.. so it's easy to overlook. Unfortunately it's also critically important if you plan to use a small OS drive. Honestly the only reason I found it, is because I was experimenting with Plex and Emby at the same time... and my OS drive file system quadrupled in size, and like you, I knew I had put my config files on my data drives. I kinda went through the same process you did and eventually figured out the issue. As for the raid1 question... I've never personally seen it an issue on a raid. The only issue I've ever saw, is when it was used on a mergedfs filesystem.

Only other thing I might add when you do this for a permanent solution. Obviously do this from the beginning, that will save you the hassle of moving the folder, etc. Second... this can be overcome but it can be an issue if you hate dealing with permissions. The Containers folder you set there, is going to be owned by root and it will take over permissions for the folder its in. So I would recommend creating a shared folder just for Containers. For example, don't keep it in "/sharedfolders/some folder with a lot of other folders/Containers", it will take over the top directory and change the permissions for everything under it. While this can be overcome, it can be a real PITA depending on how your data is laid out... Create a folder path just for your containers (ie.. "/sharedfolders/Containers") and it will avoid this issue.

Glad it was an easy fix.

• Hi, thank you for the guidance - helped me totally out of my missing-space-problem :)
    Just one thing that doesn't work after that:

- created ext4 filesystem labeled "Data" on my empty partition mmcblk0p3
    - created sharedfolder "Docker" on device "Data"
    - changed my location of Docker base path in the dropdown box in docker settings to sharedfolder "Docker"
    - everything seemed to work fine, docker imager were reloaded and did start up
    - can call my rpi-monitor docker via url <ip-of-omv>:8888
    - cannot call my nextcloud docker via url <ip-of-omv>:444 -> error

sorry for german - translated: "This site does not work" omvraspi.home.lan (= my omv-machine) cannot process the request at the moment.

any ideas what to change in nextcloud docker?

Edit: just noticed that also the mariadb-docker is not working correctly anymore - when trying to connect to mysql via 'mysql -uroot -p' the following error occurs:
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111 "Connection refused")

Thank you

• - created ext4 filesystem labeled "Data" on my empty partition mmcblk0p3
    - created sharedfolder "Docker" on device "Data"

I hope you do regular backups of your SD card in the future since due to constant writes with rather high Write Amplification it might die sooner than you expect (try of an explanation)

• I hope you do regular backups of your SD card in the future since due to constant writes with rather high Write Amplification it might die sooner than you expect (try of an explanation)

That's a good hint ;) - in fact I still have my docker files in /var/lib/docker - just wanted to try to change it to another location. With your hint in mind, I will change it to a sharefolder on my hdd as soon as I know HOW to change it ?(;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!