Issues with WD 8TB Red HD

• OMV 4.x
    • Issues with WD 8TB Red HD

Hey Guys,

Newbie to OpenMediVault - well I want to be!!! Currently using FreeNAS 11 as a Home File Server and would like to convert to Open Media Vault for the same purpose...Last night, I loaded Open Media Vault with the four (4) WD 8TB Red Hard drives and followed a YouTube Tutorial for the install...Wiped Drives and went to the RAID configrator - but the WD Red Drives do not appear... I have worried with this and worried with this and ready to give up on the install...This morning I googled the issue and looks like drives larger than 2TB and looks like Linux will not recognize drives larger than 2 TB without being converted to GPT...So onward with the Battle and finally after spending this morning into trying to resolve this, decided to go back with the FreeNAS OS unless someone can steer me clear of this issue...Any assistance will be Greatly Appreciated!!! :) :) :)
    • How are the drives connected? The RAID dialog hides devices that are connected via USB.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • Philbert wrote:

Again, reverted to FreeNAS 11.2 after the 'failed' attempt
      Feenas uses ZFs, ZFS adds a signature at the beginning and the end of the drive, simply running a 'quick wipe' in OMV to prepare the drives will only remove the signature at the beginning of the dive and not the end. This alone will make the drives appear unavailable in OMV that is why @macom asked you to run wipefs -n /dev/sd? replacing ? with the drives letter, this will show the signatures on the drive.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • Philbert wrote:

can I Format these Drives to Mac Extended Journal and erase this info???
      Most probably not or just by using dd there and calculating offsets (with ZFS there can be up to 4 vdev labels on a disk). The most easy way is to use ZFS itself so you could simply use OMV and add the ZFS plugin (+ proxmox kernel). Then there are two variants:
      • use zpool labelclear /dev/disk/by-id/$drive (replacing $drive with the correct identifier)
      • use OMV with your two disks as zmirror which is a way better choice than mdraid's lame RAID 1 mode

The latter is highly recommended!

@votdev I would consider zpool labelclear a good addition to the 'wipe' actions accessible by OMV's UI but most probably you don't want to rely on this external dependency, right?
    • tkaiser wrote:

I would consider zpool labelclear a good addition to the 'wipe' actions accessible by OMV's UI but most probably you don't want to rely on this external dependency, right?
      This is correct, but i've enhanced the quick wiping using dd. See github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/pull/328.

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• tkaiser wrote:

votdev wrote:

i've enhanced the quick wiping using dd. See github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/pull/328
      I hope 1MiB is enough (ran into some strange issues years ago with a RAID controller changing drive geometry -- I guess this is also the main reason why ZFS adds signature at the beginning and end of disk devices)
      OK, changed it to 4MiB.

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.