8GB DDR3 1333 Samsung M378B5673FH0-CH9 RAM
    MSI P55-SD50 (stripped down CD53)

1X 80GB 7200RPM Fujitsu MHZ2080BJ 2.5" for OS
    2X 500GB WD RE4 WD5003ABYX - RAID 1
    7X 500GB WD BLUE WD5000AAKX - RAID 5

Some testing with bonnie++ :

2X 500GB WD RE4 WD5003ABYX - RAID 1

Code
    Version      1.96   ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                        -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
    Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
    omvbox          16G           132038  17 64332  10           135785  11 167.8   6
    Latency                        6758ms    8735ms             64187us     245ms

128.94MBps write / 62.82MBps re-write / 132.60MBps read

7X 500GB WD BLUE WD5000AAKX - RAID 5

Code
    Version      1.96   ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                        -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
    Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
    omvbox          16G           106097  14 78847  12           243088  14 331.1  14
    Latency                         420ms    8027ms             34643us     262ms

103.61MBps write / 76.99MBps re-write / 237.39MBps read

Not the prettiest of setups but it gets the job done. The blue WD's are just placeholders until I can find a decent deal to expand storage. I was running openfiler w/Subsonic for a few years on an Athlon XP 1700 w/1GB DDR so this is quite a step up. Running AFP + Time Capsule, SMB, DLNA, DAAP, and moving all my VM's off the Macbook Pro so I can finally throw an SSD in there. Subsonic will be moved over once I get around to it.

Temps run around avg. of 35C as expected and consumes roughly 3kwh/day.

• Nice little NAS System. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I've never seen so many hard drive rails in use. Amazing. :shock:

I had to buy the mounts for the case off eBay cause I had lost all but one set over the 13 years I've owned it. Oddly, they were close to the most expensive part of this build. I thought about getting a backplane but didn't know how that would fit with these silly 5.25" rails. The SSD sled for the system drive is from an upgrade to another MBP.

• I spent like 100 bucks on a backplane. It's nice, you put in and take out a hard drive bare. I would just look at your drive temps. If you are happy with them then I wouldn't worry. But if it is hot I would probably do something.

• Very nice and neat build!

Like tekkbebe mentioned I too would be concerned about the HDD temps.

Something I would be concerned about is the power supply. I looked at the manual for the mobo and they recommend a minimum of 400W. With all the HDD's in the system the 500W may be at it's limits, particularly at initial start up.

Thank you for sharing.

• Temps are good, around 33C max. Server resides in a basement.

I'm not too concerned with power. I never put it under 100% load but the max I saw for power consumption was ~100 watts. I do have a couple VM's running concurrently so it may spike as they come under load though they are light linux vm's with throttled cpu and no desktop environment.

Already have a casualty though, well maybe 2. Started hearing a clicking sound coming from somewhere last night and knew immediately which drive it was. Checked SMART logs and sure enough I was getting bad sector warnings on one of the RE4 drives. I also checked my SMART settings and noticed I was only monitoring the RE4's and 2.5" sysdrive (I am now monitoring everything thank you very much). I bought those drives in around May of 2011 and had to replace one in October of 2011, at the height of the drive shortage, so my thinking must have been when is the other one going to fail. Fortunately they have a 5 year limited warranty and I can RMA it. They're fast drives but a failure after 2000 power-on hours is crap.

System drive may also be failing as I'm seeing ~1000 errors when checking selftest log. Not good.

• Sorry to hear about the RE's they should have lasted longer. If the drives are from the same lot they tend to fail about the same time. So if the power on hours are close...

Also since it may be your system drive use Clonezilla quick!

• So I've received the replacement drive for the mirrored array. How should I go about replacing it? I have a complete up to date backup of the system and all data. I would prefer not destroying the array/volume/filesystem/etc if possible.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!