Cloning data drive

    • OMV 4.x

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Cloning data drive

      One of my data drives seems to be running a bit hot compared to my other drives. The other drives are in the 20's. The one i'm concerned about is hitting the low 40's. Unfortunately, it is the drive that has a lot of docker config files on it. So I have two questions.

      1.) Can you clone an ext4 drive the way you can for an ntfs drive using cloning software?

      2.) If I clone and swap the disk, will that wreak havoc on my docker containers? Or can I just mount and share the same folder structure and the dockers will see all of the files the containers need to run the same. Wasn't sure if anything is linked to a particular drive model name or just the drive location like 'dev/sda/'.

      Thanks...
    • flyinjoe13 wrote:

      The one i'm concerned about is hitting the low 40's.
      That isn't a problem.

      flyinjoe13 wrote:

      Can you clone an ext4 drive the way you can for an ntfs drive using cloning software?
      Yes. omv-extras allows you to boot clonezilla and you could clone anything.

      flyinjoe13 wrote:

      I clone and swap the disk, will that wreak havoc on my docker containers? Or can I just mount and share the same folder structure and the dockers will see all of the files the containers need to run the same. Wasn't sure if anything is linked to a particular drive model name or just the drive location like 'dev/sda/'.
      If you clone it and then remove the original drive, the system won't know that the drive was changed due to the way drives are mounted.
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!