Switching to OMV from unRaid

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am having a problem installing OMV. I kept getting "failed to partition the selected disk". I have 16GB USB. I thought the system requirements is 2GB storage. Is this some kind of bug?

OMV uses the debian installer but it uses the default of half the ram for swap. So, if you have 32GB or more of ram, I could see this happen. You can always install using the Debian 9 iso and then install OMV on top - https://forum.openmediavault.o…OMV4-on-Debian-9-Stretch/

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OMV uses the debian installer but it uses the default of half the ram for swap. So, if you have 32GB or more of ram, I could see this happen. You can always install using the Debian 9 iso and then install OMV on top - https://forum.openmediavault.o…OMV4-on-Debian-9-Stretch/

I figured it out. I had to purchase a 64GB and format and partition the flashdrive. I set the 48GB for linux-swap and the rest is ext4 format. I noticed that if I don't do this, the installation kept failing.
    So at this point, I got the OMV 4.3 installed on my 64GB flashdrive, but getting this error when I tried to upgrade

Code
    Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusiXH6mc' (size=0).
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I set the 48GB for linux-swap and the rest is ext4 format. I noticed that if I don't do this, the installation kept failing.

OMV's installer will re-partition the drive. You should use a blank drive with no partitions for best results.

So at this point, I got the OMV 4.3 installed on my 64GB flashdrive, but getting this error when I tried to upgrade

That is a known error in the older version that is fixed in a later update (4.1.11 I think). Just update from the command line (omv-update) if you can't from the web interface. Although, if you try multiple times, it should work from the web interface eventually.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• OMV's installer will re-partition the drive. You should use a blank drive with no partitions for best results.

I tried but it kept failing. I was getting the "Failed to partition..." error. I read somewhere that burning the ISO to a cd would fix the problem, but I don't have any CDs or DVD drive.

That is a known error in the older version that is fixed in a later update (4.1.11 I think). Just update from the command line (omv-update) if you can't from the web interface. Although, if you try multiple times, it should work from the web interface eventually.

Is that how you upgrade in CLI?
    I thought the update is command is the normal "apt update && apt dist-upgrade". I rebooted the server and it seems to be working now via the webUI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is that how you upgrade in CLI?

Not usually. It does about the same thing as your commands but is less to type.

• Question about the flashmemory plugin. Do I need to follow the fstab instruction or just keep the default install and leave it at that?
    It says this is optional, and Techno Life Dad said in his video that he would not recommend this on production.

• Question about the flashmemory plugin. Do I need to follow the fstab instruction or just keep the default install and leave it at that?
    It says this is optional, and Techno Life Dad said in his video that he would not recommend this on production.

The danger is that if you mistype anything your disk becomes read only. You can fix this, but for me the momentary heart attack is not worth the minor improvement.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So the flashmemory plugin should work right after installing it from plugins?

Yes. The manual change to fstab just reduces writes a bit more.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can fix this, but for me the momentary heart attack is not worth the minor improvement.

LOL.. :D I'd love to have seen that moment in one of your videos.
    Maybe you'd consider doing an outtakes vid' or a kind of bloopers reel. :)

• I got my drives, formatted to ext4 and mounted.
    I added the disks to the snapraid, but no parity yet (don't have the money for parity drive).
    Somehow none of the disks show up in the drop-down menu of LUKS.

Am I missing something here?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I missing something here?

Yep. The LUKS step comes before the filesystem. So, you need to undo everything you've done and wipe the drives. Then create the LUKS devices, unlock them, and finally put the filesystem on the LUKS device.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!