Terrible performance with Samsung HD203WI

• hi, i have a performance problem witn a Samsung HD203WI drive in a HP N54L microserver. While all other installed drives perform reasonably my Samsung drive does not. Transfer speed as measured by hdparm (and real life performance copying files from one drive to another internally or via smb to a different computer) is between 300K/s and 10MB/s (from a 2 TB drive!)

I have already moved the drives around to exclude a faulty sata connection but to no avail. Also the drive performs normally when installed in a different PC. Any ideas?

• Sata Cable, defective contact on side of the hard drive...

Would you mind testing with dd against hdparm?

Code
    cd /media/UUIDofdevsdc/
    dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile BS=1MB count=1024
    dd of=/dev/zero if=tempfile BS=1MB count=1024
    rm tempfile

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Are you sure it's not a firmware / cache issue? Did you enable read and write caches on the drive?
    Maybe you've enabled SATA features that this drive doesn't handle well? (NCQ...?)
    You could try running the same benchmarks off a Live-CD on the same machine to rule out software as a cause.

• thanks for the suggestions:

- faulty sata connections on the server side should be excluded as moving the drive around does not change anything.
    - i have not done any specific configuration changes regarding this drive
    - the drive (seems) to work fine in a different computer (running ubuntu 12.04)

the dd testing results are really really weird. as writing is much faster than reading, but also the writing speed is not really consistent:

• Please try:

Code
    cd /media/UUIDofdevsdc/
    dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile BS=1MB count=30720
    dd of=/dev/zero if=tempfile BS=1MB count=30720
    rm tempfile

And check if this gives a more consistent speed. I just limited then benchmark before to 1GB because I thought even that would take hours with only kb/s performance....

Greetings
    David

PS: You confused read and write. You read speeds are higher than your write speeds.

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

PS: You confused read and write. You read speeds are higher than your write speeds.

this is read speed, is it not? anyway.
    I did some further testing. And the issue is not software related (as ubuntu 12.04 live shows the same behaviour on the hp n54l). I will put the hdd in a different pc now and try again, if this really makes a differences (as stated above).

• Nevermind, I'm was just confused by your output...

Well, I would try around as best as I can if I would like to found the root of the problem ;)

Greetings
    David

• different computer: no problem at all.

Code
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/jan/SS2TB/tempfile bs=1M count=2048 
    2048+0 records in
    2048+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2,1 GB) copied, 19,4719 s, 110 MB/s
    val jan # echo 1 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    val jan # dd of=/dev/zero if=/media/jan/SS2TB/tempfile bs=1M count=2048 
    2048+0 records in
    2048+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2,1 GB) copied, 20,725 s, 104 MB/s

I also tried to update the firmware of the hdd as I read sth about Problems of the samsung spinpoint F3 drives in combination with the AMD SB 850 chipset but again to no avail. (HP N54L seems to have the AMD RS785E/SB820M, but i tried anyway)

I give up. I'll buy a new drive

• Zitat von "xvlun"

[...]

I give up. I'll buy a new drive

Sorry that we can't figure it out. I would recommend a WD Red as a new drive.

Greetings
    David

• There is one other area to look at is the power supply. HP usually makes good things, though if it is getting weak or is at it's limits it could be the problem.

Like Davidh2k I too prefer WD drives and their Reds for NAS data use.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!