Form Factor or Reckmount?

• Dear My friends
    As i need to a software in anywhere whether at my office or home, i want to buy a stock server for 24/7 on. This software just needs a CPU with a power extent to Core i7 third generation. Some sellers suggest HD 360 G7 based on my budget but i found a Mini server i.e HP 8300 with a Core i7 third generation and 8 Gig Ram. Notwithstanding that sellers said me that this type servers aren't suitable for my purpose but i need to have a Xeon server instead. Although I don't know why they say so but i have some serious questions on this Mini server:
    1-Is it suitable for my purpose at all?
    2-Is it suitable regarding electricity cost?
    3-Can i use a SAS HDD on it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you need an i7/xeon and SAS drives for??

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What do you need an i7/xeon and SAS drives for??

The main question is that whether this Mini case(HP 8300) can be always on for 24 hours/7 weeks/1 year? someone said me it cannot.
    in the other word, is this item a server or a mini PC?

• If the answer of above question is Ok, Can i use a SAS HDD on this case? it question comes form this fact that SAS HDD has much less data loss rather than SATA HDD while there is no support for this HDD in the default configuration of this Minicase.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The main question is that whether this Mini case(HP 8300) can be always on for 24 hours/7 weeks/1 year? someone said me it cannot.
    in the other word, is this item a server or a mini PC?

I was trying to find the use case first. Lots of people (myself included) run desktops, arm board, etc 24/7/365. So, yes you could use an HP 8300 for that but if don't know your use case, it is hard to recommend something. I find it hard to believe that if you are willing to use an HP 8300 that you would need SAS drives.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I was trying to find the use case first. Lots of people (myself included) run desktops, arm board, etc 24/7/365. So, yes you could use an HP 8300 for that but if don't know your use case, it is hard to recommend something. I find it hard to believe that if you are willing to use an HP 8300 that you would need SAS drivesi

I'm using a software relating to my job on my office that this App uses a Tiny HID lock. So Because I need to reach to that software from anywhere, I'm going to buy a cheap server just for installing and running that App. All of these for the sake that I'm seeking for a alternative instead of my current virtual server.

• Hmm... most probably you are referring to the Unrecoverable Read Error (URE) numbers, right?

I read this:
    A significant difference between SAS and SATA is that SAS is engineered to withstand 24/7 use in enterprises, such as datacenters. While a SATA drive could technically be used in all the same ways that a SAS drive could be (e.g., for a server), it would perform more slowly and would be more likely to fail (or suggest failure—give a false positive—even when it has not technically failed). This is a costly problem for businesses that depend on reliable hard drives. The mean time between failures (MTBF) for a SAS drive is 1.2 to 1.6 million hours of use at 45 °C, while the MTBF for a SATA drive is 700,000 hours to 1.2 million hours of use at 25 °C.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Having a more reliable drive is pointless if the hardware it is installed in isn't as reliable. Is this system being up every second 24/7/365 critical or a nice to have?

• MTBF

So you copy&paste this http://ec2-54-86-89-118.compute-1.amazonaws.com/sas-vs-sata/

All hardware will eventually die and such statistical values like MTBF or URE do not affect your individual disks since they don't know statistics. The SAS drive you buy can die within 2 years while a less expensive SATA drive can work 5 times longer.

That's why we use software to take care of data integrity (checksummed filesystems for example) and data safety (backup). The chosen hardware becomes only relevant once we talk about data consistency (similar to integrity of course -- this affects disks with write caches lying to the host for example) and data availability.

I've to admit that I still don't understand the use case...

• Having a more reliable drive is pointless if the hardware it is installed in isn't as reliable. Is this system being up every second 24/7/365 critical or a nice to have?

As I need to a cheap server, a system with always on comparability is a nice to have thing but my expectation is that it runs without failure at least for 2 years

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I need to a cheap server, a system with always on comparability is a nice to have thing but my expectation is that it runs without failure at least for 2 years

I understand that but you can't use cheap and 100% uptime in the same server. If you have a cheap server but have good backups, can you handle the restore time? That is the question you should ask yourself. As tkaiser said, you could buy something super cheap and get lucky with no issues or you could buy something really expensive and have lots of issues. I have seen both.

• So you copy&paste this http://ec2-54-86-89-118.compute-1.amazonaws.com/sas-vs-sata/
    All hardware will eventually die and such statistical values like MTBF or URE do not affect your individual disks since they don't know statistics. The SAS drive you buy can die within 2 years while a less expensive SATA drive can work 5 times longer.

That's why we use software to take care of data integrity (checksummed filesystems for example) and data safety (backup). The chosen hardware becomes only relevant once we talk about data consistency (similar to integrity of course -- this affects disks with write caches lying to the host for example) and data availability.

I've to admit that I still don't understand the use case...

In any case, do you suggest HP Compaq 8300(Mini PC) as a server for a small company?

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you suggest HP Compaq 8300(Mini PC) as a server for a small company?

No. It is an ultra compact desktop that runs hot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!