OMV System drive (is that what it is called) keeps filling up and causing instability - Linux noob needs help

• Hello all,
    first let me start off by apologizing that i am a linux noob but i am trying to learn. I have had OMV installed and running for quite a few months now. things have been pretty good with a few hiccups here and there. However, the last few days, perhaps a week, my root drive which is 8GB has been filling up to the point where there is no room and has been causing some serious stability issues. so let me try and lay out the specs of my system:

OMV 4 installed in a VM on an ESXi server. I originally gave the system drive 16gb but for some reason after installing OMV it only created an 8GB drive. i didn't realize it till later and users on here said 8GB is plenty and i should be ok

I created two more drives of 120GB each and mounted them in OMV. on one of those 2 drives i moved the docker folder too. When i first installed the docker plugin i installed it to the system drive and it grew to the point of filling up the drive. so i worked with a few users on here and moved it to one of the bigger drives.

things were well after that but as i said in the past few days i have been seeing the system drive fill to the top again, i have been going in and deleting some very large log files, but since i am a linux noob i was hoping someone would be willing to help me figure out what is wrong. other places to look? other commands to try?

please help and i will try and do my best to keep up

Thanks in advance

• Well, one question for you is what is the source of those large log files you have been deleting and what do they say inside of them?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well, one question for you is what is the source of those large log files you have been deleting and what do they say inside of them?

it was a daemon.log that was over 2GB and i did look inside but did not understand anything so i figured it was a log file so it was safe to delete and i admit i just wanted to get my system running and that helped.

the second time the drive filled to the max i went to the logs folder again and this time that log was not large and i deleted another large log file just dont remember which one it was, again it got my system stable again.

today the system drive was full yet again, so i went to the logs folder and there were no extremely large log files today and i looked at the size of the logs folder itself and it was not over the 1GB mark yet my system drive is full. so i am guessing its something else this time. if i was in a windows machine i would install windirstat and find the large folder/files and fix it. Being so new to linux, i do not know what the equivalent of that is

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use ncdu to check the size of each folder.
    https://linux.die.net/man/1/ncdu

Install it with sudo apt install ncdu

Then run it with ncdu -x /

With the -x option it will not descend into other filesystem, so it will only analyse your root file system.

Exit ncdu with Ctrl+c

• thanks for that tool. i like it. it helps alot, but something just doesnt seem right. i did the command you said to do to get the root file system and the numbers dont match. i attached a pic

• Offizieller Beitrag

Show the output of df -h.

Try apt-get clean all to clean up apt'

See how many older kernels you have. dpkg -l |grep linux-image |grep ii Keep at least one older one.

Code
    root@OMV4:~# dpkg -l   |grep linux-image  |grep ii
    ii  linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.1-amd64-unsigned 4.19.12-1~bpo9+1               amd64        Linux 4.19 for 64-bit PCs
    ii  linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.2-amd64          4.19.16-1~bpo9+1               amd64        Linux 4.19 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
    ii  linux-image-amd64                         4.19+102~bpo9+1                amd64        Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
    root@OMV4:~#

To remove old one (line 2) dpkg -r linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.1-amd64-unsigned

• ok... so i did the df -h command and a whole lot of info scrolled by that i am not sure what it means or how much is actually there since there are no scroll bars to scroll up and look. i have attached a pic of that output to this post.

i then did the apt-get clean all and it didn't do anything, there was no output, just a return to the prompt, but when i looked at my system it was still as full as in my previous post pic.

i then did the command to list the kernels and it listed 3 and they all look very similar so i really am not sure which two are safe to remove. i attached a pic of that as well

• Offizieller Beitrag

3 kernels is not a problem but they will increase over time.

df -h |less will let you scroll the output. If you get an error about "less" apt-get install less.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Scroll bar is on the right side with arrows top and bottom. May be hidden or something by setting or os. You should also be able to scroll with a mouse wheel or by selecting and moving above or below.You have to click image to see.

• OMG!!! i feel like an idiot!!! i thought i was in my server using putty and i was actually using my vmware console. sorry about that. so i fired up putty and yes i now see scroll bars. i feel like the idiot in your signature @donh i am still no figuring out where all my space has gone or where to get it back yet but i am still trying to learn. i really hope i dont have to do a rebuild

• Its a VM that I assigned 3 hard drives to. 1 is 16gb in the VM settings but for some reason (I am guessing I messed up something in the install) it is only 8gb in OMV and that is the system drive that keeps filling up. The 2nd and 3rd assigned hard drives are 120gb a piece. One of them has a storage space for handbrake for watch and media folders. The other is where I pointed the docker folder too. I also have a 8TB external hard drive mounted.

I have in plugins, OMV extras, shell-in-the-box, and docker.

I am not to versed in which logs to look in nor do I really know how to read them in CLI. So I have been using another Ubuntu desktop I have and connect to my OMV and mount the state so I can use gedit to read the logs in a gui environment

• If there was a way to increase the system drive to the full 16gb I assigned it in the VMware settings that would help a bit but I know it will not solve the issue as 8gb was working fine for a while

• it appears that it does see the 16gb

Disk /dev/sda: 16 GiB, 17179869184 bytes, 33554432 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0xf5efde6c

i do agree that if i dont find the problem that this will be a band-aid and not a fix

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!