my nas build

• RPi + USB + RAID .... @tkaiser will probably be close to getting a stroke

Why? If someone wants to do crazy things only harming himself that's totally fine. If the same person tries to propagates this so other users are also at risk it's a different story. And if OMV allows users losing data then I'm really concerned. But here? If someone wants to desperately build a NAS that sucks™... why not?

Most of the people looking at the picture above won't notice of course but @roy77399 has a severe underpowering problem (see the console messages on the LCD screen reporting undervoltage -- I tried to warn him already). Then a RPi with 4 disks in a drive dock usually means even two USB hubs (if you're unlucky with the lousy RPi 3B+ even 3!) are between disks and host which is a really horrible setup if he would use parity RAID (RAID5 or RAID6).

RAID1 which he seems to be using based on his signature is not that much affected by the SPoF problem (single point of failure -- you really try to avoid USB disks and especially USB hubs) and the other parity RAID problems since this specific RAID mode is just useless. It's a waste of disks for almost nothing. When playing RAID in this mode with USB disks chances are high that different stuff will be written to the HDDs so it's more or less only a matter of (silent) data corruption.

Well, trying to cope with drive failures is not the worst idea with such drive docks since they are a great way to expose HDDs to G force peaks when inserting and constant high vibrations when spinning (think about the centre of gravitation and how/where the disks are 'fixated'). Both is a great way to reduce their lifespan. :)

• Why? If someone wants to do crazy things only harming himself that's totally fine. If the same person tries to propagates this so other users are also at risk it's a different story. And if OMV allows users losing data then I'm really concerned. But here? If someone wants to desperately build a NAS that sucks™... why not?
    Most of the people looking at the picture above won't notice of course but @roy77399 has a severe underpowering problem (see the console messages on the LCD screen reporting undervoltage -- I tried to warn him already). Then a RPi with 4 disks in a drive dock usually means even two USB hubs (if you're unlucky with the lousy RPi 3B+ even 3!) are between disks and host which is a really horrible setup if he would use parity RAID (RAID5 or RAID6).

RAID1 which he seems to be using based on his signature is not that much affected by the SPoF problem (single point of failure -- you really try to avoid USB disks and especially USB hubs) and the other parity RAID problems since this specific RAID mode is just useless. It's a waste of disks for almost nothing. When playing RAID in this mode with USB disks chances are high that different stuff will be written to the HDDs so it's more or less only a matter of (silent) data corruption.

Well, trying to cope with drive failures is not the worst idea with such drive docks since they are a great way to expose HDDs to G force peaks when inserting and constant high vibrations when spinning (think about the centre of gravitation and how/where the disks are 'fixated'). Both is a great way to reduce their lifespan. :)

=O
    I just wanted to make such a subtle and innocent joke, nothing more :P:):saint:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!