Please help 3 days and constant crashes

• Hi all I am new here :)

I would love some help please

I have a

HP DL160 G6 server with x2 CPU`s and 32 GB ram etc etc

now I install OMV 4 and some times dureing install the server just hard shuts off.
    if I manage to get past the install I could be using the server all ok and when transfering files server just shuts off again.
    some times shuts down when its just sat there to.

Now I know what ya going to say hardware issue but

I did a 6hr memtest and every thing was fine
    I installed windows and left it running for hours and transfered a load of stuff to see if it crashed but NOPE all was ok.
    I updated BIOS as well.

Now just installing OMV again thinking it might be fixed it crashed during install again.

I have also tryed a few HDD`s but still no luck.

I know its sounds like hardware but windows runs perfect.

Thanks in advance.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++fixed+++++++

Ok I'm pretty sure it's now fixed
    I updated the bios to the latest version.
    The server was a dl160 g6 running a bios from 2011.
    I used latest bios from 2013 and now this problem appears fixed.

Hope this helps any one else who has this issue.

If there is any one here who knows why it did this would love to know why.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Very strange. I would try the Debian 9 netinstall ISO to see if it does the same thing. That is an old server that should run OMV just fine.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ok shall try that and will let you know :)

its driving me mad as if it did it in windows or crashed when doing memory test I would say hardware for sure.

thank you

P.S

it says 4.1.3 is latest but after installing and updating omv it shows

4.1.21-1 im confused as to if I have latest?

EDIT

ok just slapped in a memory stick to use it as storage (i know its not any good was fastest way to get storage)
    any way after formating it and then clicking mount server just shut down again so im stumped here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

it says 4.1.3 is latest but after installing and updating omv it shows

4.1.21-1 im confused as to if I have latest?

The ISO takes a lot of time to build. So, it isn't updated all the time. It is easy to update to the latest (as you have found) in the updates tab. 4.1.21 is the latest.

ok just slapped in a memory stick to use it as storage (i know its not any good was fastest way to get storage)
    any way after formating it and then clicking mount server just shut down again so im stumped here.

Are you sure the stick is good? Where are you clicking on "mount server"? I guess I am trying to figure out where it is shutting down.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

ok was messing about in deb and was messing with network settings and PC hard turned off so must be hardware and just never triggered in windows etc?

I think so. maybe the power supply is weak and memtest isn't stressing it but installing Debian/OMV is??

• yeah i was looking into that watchdog thing how would one disable it as I cant see an optoin in BIOS unless I am not looking hard enough?

EDIT

Sorry my bad found it disabled now lets see.

problem is what would omv do that would cause it to shut down like that and also deb ?

watch this space LOL

EDIT

nah still shut down so :(

• yeah turned it off in BIOS and shut down still.

might re insert me windows HDD and run windows again for a longer time and if it never shuts down then some thing bvery odd is going on LOL

I updated BIOS to im sure its latest for the dl160 g6 but HP are pains in the A£$ as they lock every thing behind subscriptions etc :(.

i think its latest but shall look again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you are booting the ISO, try adding this to the boot paramenters nmi_watchdog=0

• ok my bad i was not on latest BIOS i was on a version from 2011

am now on a version from 2013 sooo lets see how that goes

realy appriciate the help guys thank you.

shall report back

EDIT

at the grub screen do I press e then add that command?

thanks

P.S

I am a 100% windows user normally this is all new to me.
    thank you

• OK re inserted me win HDD

I ran

Prime95
    multiple youtube vids
    transfered 4GB of files from another PC to the DL160
    temps hit no more than 65c on all cores and cpu`s.------------------------ ALL AT THE SAME TIME-----------------------------

the Server just shrugged it off as if its nothing.

So gonna leave it on a bit longer but truly does not seem like a hardware issue.

I have updated BIOS now to latest and not yet tested OMV again so shall also report back I will test deb install as well but yeah very odd.

I will also try the suggestions above IF it shuts down again in OMV ETC.

Thanks again sorry for the rambling on :)

• ok update

I have installed OMV I logged into the GUI and changed admin P word
    I looked at the system infomation ETC.

I have NOT updated to latest version yet nor have I got any drives installed for storage so far its been running for over 1 hr.

next I shall update to latest versin and then leave it running again.
    If that proves ok I shall then install a storage drive format it and what not and see how it goes.

Just posting this as I go along incase it helps figure out what it is causing the issue.

Thanks again all :)

• OK update

I updated the system to latest OMV version I also installed a 160GB HDD I had.

I have left it running for a while now and transfered files to it and from it.

It seems stable at the moment so truly not sure why it had to be the BIOS update?.

So I assume my next question is can the BIOS really mess with some programmes like that as windows was perfect but OMV just was not having none of it nore was Debian.

Thanks again all.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It seems stable at the moment so truly not sure why it had to be the BIOS update?.

If it wasn't the bios, it may have been the act of updating the bios that cleared some bad cmos data. Hard to say. Never seen this myself.

So I assume my next question is can the BIOS really mess with some programmes like that as windows was perfect but OMV just was not having none of it nore was Debian.

You have to remember that most manufacturers spend much more time testing Windows than Linux. Plus, this is a fairly old system and bios. Something may have been introduced in the kernel that conflicted with the old bios. It is possible an old version of Debian/OMV wouldn't have had this problem. When I was maintaining G6s, I only ran VMware ESXi on them. It sounds like you should be good to go now though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

USB plugin

I assume you mean the flashmemory plugin? I use it on SSDs too but they "shouldn't" need it since they do wear leveling. But it definitely doesn't hurt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!