Backup files in OMV with versioning (timemachine mechanism)

• Dear,

I would like to have a backup with the different versions (based on the time or based on a number of last versions) of the file I store in OMV.
    It's a bit the mechanism of "Timemachine".
    I want to be able to recover a file deleted by mistake, a corrupted filed or simply recover a previous version of a file.

I would like to know if it's possible natively or via a plugin.

Thank you

• Natively I have no Idea, but you could setup e.g. a daily/weekly/monthly setup or something like that (Grandfather-Father-Son method).

If you need help for that, just ask ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Cron Job that executes a script which either tars your files with a pattern like "$date_foldername.tar.gz" and moves that to a backup store or simply copy the files with rsync to a backup location where you create a specific backupfolder structure so you can do your versioning. But please remember that doing that manually with versionen is gonna take some space because you don't have any deduplication!

The first solution is the one I use on my root server, but I have to tell its not easy to access those files and needs some time to get the files out because you're using archives... So for easy file recovery a rsync backup with the suggested method may be way easier for you.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Well, against faulty deletion you could just use a normal rsync backup. I wrote a script some weeks ago for a friend of mine dooing a greyhole like backup. This script does work just like greyhole and backups (pictures in his case) from 1 drive onto 3 others.

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2437

Greetings
    David

• Backup and how to maintain your data is a big subject and all the areas to backup can not possibly be known by any backup product. So they design tools that will ask what, where and how.

Another viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2050 that describes backup may be worth reading.

• Are the files changend on OMV directly or on your PC? Example: On my PC I'm running OwnCloud in a VM (Because the official OMV-Plugin is not yet available! :( ) So, changes in OwnCloud will effect local files. My backup-program is backing them up and versioning them to one OMV-share.

I use "SyncBack Pro" (cheaper- and freeware-versions available) from 2brightsparks.

• xvlun, I'm indeed looking at this, it's interesting :)

Dennis, the files are directly in OMV, shared between different users.

I'm also using seafile (owncloud-like). I will see later how to integrate with OMV

• I have rsnapshot configured for something similar. I "pull" snapshots from a remote server to an OMV share, but you could do it the opposite just as easily (or do snapshots from one local share to another ... etc.).

Just configure rsnapshot via shell and then scheduled cron entries via webgui. I have two cron entries ...one for "rsnapshot daily" and another for "rsnapshot hourly". My rsnapshot.conf is set to make snapshots every 3 hours (which is done by the "hourly" job) and 1 daily.

• Can you share a big your config file ?
    How does it occur for the disk space ? IF you have let's say 10 GB of data, every snapshot will count the 10 GB or there is a mecanism with hardlink to avoid to duplicate the files that didn't change since the last time ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!