• The only reference I have been able to find regarding the use of nilfs2 with omv is a single thread from 3 years ago. 3 years later i'd like to think that some progress on adopting this fs structure has made it's way into omv but it doesn't appear to be the case.

A comment and then a couple questions:

I've been using omv for myself and my customer base for a number of years now. I have found it to be a very capable front end to our NAS servers. Over the last 6 years I've had numerous customers get hit with ransomware. As much as one tries to lock down the environment, you can't prevent an infection from being inadvertently 'invited' in by some unsuspecting user of the local network. The fortunate thing is none of my customers have ever had to pay these ransoms mainly because of a capable backup environment.

The problem that I have is when these types of exploits do hit, the recovery process is long and tedious. Usually multiple servers involved and always attacks on the smb protocol of Microsoft and any machine exposed to it. The use of the nil file system can go a long way, and does, to making recovery pretty much painless and I use this file system for most of my customers now. Unfortunately it means taking omv out of the picture due to non-support. I hate to say it but with our experience, nil is going to win out over omv every time. Thing is, I see a perfect marriage between the two and am wondering why it is not being considered.

So my questions.....

Is nilfs2 being considered for inclusion at all?
    If not, what are the impediments to supporting it from omv?
    If there are no impediments, is it just a matter of creating a 'plugin'?
    If a plugin can be created, are there any 'developers' that would like to assist in such an endeavor?

Thanks in advance for any input on this subject.

• Hi tkaiser.... thank you for the response.

In most cases these customers are retail outlets where everyone on the sales floor and mail order must have access to all information at all times. We've worked to isolate as much as we can but there is still a vast amount of information that can not be.

nilfs2 offers unique features that can not be had or found in btrfs or ZFS. Both of these solutions effectively create replicated snapshots of all files in a particular location and require you to store them in another location with a capacity to handle as many snapshots as you think you may need to have. Given the size and complexity of the environment, it is usually cost prohibitive to add the additional hardware and the overhead for taking these snapshot is much more time consuming in the process. Lastly, unless you have a schedule that is taking snapshots every minute or so, you are left with missing files between the attack and the last snapshot.

The beauty of nilfs2 is the real time differential backups, storing only the changed information from the last edit, through the use of it's checkpoints and snapshots functions, on the same storage device while leaving the checkpoints and snapshots directly inaccessible to exploits. Further, this is happening at all times so in the event of a hit to the server one can literally and quickly restore the damaged areas to within seconds prior to the attack. There is a lot to be said for that.

As an outsourced IT provider, the customer doesn't want to find themselves having to decide between paying the ransom to get their files back or paying us to. In addition, we absolutely despise having to spend the time on this type of activity and do not relish the fact that we have to then charge the customer towards such activity.

There are a plethora of advantages to using nilfs2 over ZFS and btrfs which is why we have standardized on it. We would just prefer to have omv as the front end to the management of these storage devices and desire to see what can be done to move towards that end.

So.... the questions that I posed above are still pertinent and left unanswered at the moment.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is nilfs2 being considered for inclusion at all?

You are the first person I remember asking for it.

If not, what are the impediments to supporting it from omv?

Depends on the level of support. I just created three files that add nilfs2 to the filesystem backend that allow you to mount nilfs2 in the web interface. That is all it does though. You would still have to create the filesystem from the command line.

If there are no impediments, is it just a matter of creating a 'plugin'?

Yes.

If a plugin can be created, are there any 'developers' that would like to assist in such an endeavor?

It depends. If you just want the mount capability to use nilfs2 for shared folders and plugins, then I am just a few minutes away from having that done. If you want more...

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoaaron...

I'm surprised that no one else (besides one individual back in 2016) has made any requests about nilfs2. I really think there is a nice marriage to be made here.

Right now, having the ability to just put the nilfs2 on the partition and have it accessible to omv would be wonderful. We can work out omv integration logistics after the fact. More than comfortable working with the command line so yes.... anything you have to offer there I am all eyes and ears on and can even contribute to a potential plugin after the fact.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Right now, having the ability to just put the nilfs2 on the partition and have it accessible to omv would be wonderful. We can work out omv integration logistics after the fact. More than comfortable working with the command line so yes.... anything you have to offer there I am all eyes and ears on and can even contribute to a potential plugin after the fact.

The basic plugin is in the repo now but bintray is taking a long time to generate the release file. Here is the file if you want to manually download it:

https://bintray.com/openmediav…o%2Fopenmediavault-nilfs2

Code is here - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ers/openmediavault-nilfs2

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Say ryecoaaron,

I have downloaded the source however I am unable to determine where to put what. Can you shed a bit of light here on how I need to integrate your basic plugin?

I see the post install script however trying to determine what I may need to do prior to running it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As macom posted, there is no need to download the source. The bintray repo is working now. So, if you click Check in the plugins list, you should see it.

• Well that's what I thought. However, I've been clicking on the 'check' under plugins and do not see it. I'm assuming it would be listed under Filesystems but all I have there is a plugin for LVM. I've looked through the plugins list but no luv. Am I overlooking something?

• Thanks a bunch macom, That's what it was. Got the omv-extras loaded up.... loaded the nillfs2 plugin and it is now seeing my nilfs partition.

Thank you ryecoaaron for putting this together so quickly. We'll work with it here and start looking at a plugin for gui management.

As nilfs2 doesn't yet support ACLs it will be an interesting exercise to see how that affects openmediavault and shared folders for groups. To date we have been setting up group shares at the command line.

I will follow up in a new thread as we push in that direction.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As nilfs2 doesn't yet support ACLs it will be an interesting exercise to see how that affects openmediavault and shared folders for groups. To date we have been setting up group shares at the command line.

That reminded me that I didn't update the supported filesystem properties in the plugin. 4.0.1 is in the repo now. This disables ACLs and quotas since nilfs2 doesn't support them.

• Just a brief update,

I have been able to see the nilfs2 and subsequently create a share and access that share from a windows 7 machine using the posix username and password to connect. I have also been able to transfer files to and from the share so this is just a confirmation that the plugin works.

I am having issues using AD authentication but that's a different issue for a different thread.

Again, thanks guys for putting this together. It is my belief that the combination of omv and nilfs2 will eventually provide the ultimate in file protection with an awesome front end to manage it with.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!