Trying to install OMV on a Windows machine - Minimal BASH-line error (grub)

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trying to install OMV on a Windows machine - Minimal BASH-line error (grub)

Hello,

I'm trying to install OMV on a Windows machine.
      I previously had successfully installed it on ARM based platforms but now I get this error on Windows no matter what I tried.

I cleaned my target USB drive with Diskpart and have tried all available writting options such as ETCHER, Unetbutin and Rufus but I always get the same error screen.

What am I doing wrong?

I'd appreciate your help with this.
    • Thanks for your answer.

I thought about it and have now tried two different USB thumb drives that I successfully used in the past to install various OS's. I also tried an SSD hooked to a USB 3.0 adapter - the result is always the same...

I spent the better part of the evening trying to install OMV to no avail... I'm out of ideas!
    • gtj wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

I thought about it and have now tried two different USB thumb drives that I successfully used in the past to install various OS's. I also tried an SSD hooked to a USB 3.0 adapter - the result is always the same...

I spent the better part of the evening trying to install OMV to no avail... I'm out of ideas!
      I don't use Windows, so I honestly can't say what the problem is... But clearly if all those are failing.. it's one of 3 things...

1. Your flash drives (which you seem to have eliminated).

2. The image you have downloaded.. which seems unlikely, but I guess it is possible.

3. Something Windows is doing.. which I enjoy blaming more often than not.

I would try downloading the OMV image again, maybe it was corrupted somehow.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

Post by gtj ().

This post was deleted by KM0201: Dupe ().
    • Thanks for the ideas.

I have verified there is no problem with my USB drives as I have just installed to one of those a Linux Mint instance and I can boot from that without problem.

I have also downloaded the iso 4 times! Just to make sure, isn't that one I have to use? openmediavault_4.1.3-amd64.iso

I might try to dd the image on a Linux computer - I don;t have a powerful one available other than a RPi but I guess it should do the trick?
    • KM0201 wrote:

Im not familiar with the Pi's, but I can't fathom a reason it wouldn't be able to dd an image. If you have a pi available I would try that. I've always had good luck with dd
      It's my last resort I guess...
      I have nearly given up really.

PS:Oops. Just realized I somehow submitted the same post 3 times so I would kindly ask a moderator to remove the not needed.
    • IF the pi can't handle it. And you seem to have multiple flash drives.

Format the USB you want to put the omv installer on
      Download an Ubuntu ISO (any of them should work)
      Boot Ubuntu
      Download the OMV iso
      Plug in a blank USB.
      Use the live Ubuntu usb to dd the omv iso to the blank USB.

If etcher,.etc. won't write an ubuntu iso also, then something different altogether is going on.

Edit: Actually, I just realized you said you had a flash drive with Mint... that would work just fine.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KM0201 ().

• Many thanks for you suggestions.

I will try to dd the image onto my flash drive as soon as I get home.
      I'm just wondering, could it be anything to do with the BIOS of the destination computer? I mean, a lock or something? Not very likely I reckon as I can boot Linux Mint from a USB thumb drive with no problems.

PS: It doesn't have to be anything associated with Etcher either as I burnt the Mint image with that.
    • Are you trying to install OMV parallel to Windows as dual boot?

OMV ISO does not support UEFI boot. You have to switch to legacy mode in BIOS.

You can also install Debian 9 server without desktop first and then OMV on top.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • macom wrote:

Are you trying to install OMV parallel to Windows as dual boot?

OMV ISO does not support UEFI boot. You have to switch to legacy mode in BIOS.

You can also install Debian 9 server without desktop first and then OMV on top.
      Yes, dual boot on different drives, each for every OS.
      There's an M2 having Windows as the main OS and thought I'd use a second SATA 2.5 for OMV.

As I'm not sure how I can switch to legacy mode on this mini PC (Voyo Vmac) I think I'm better off installing Debian Server and then OMV on top as you suggested.
    • macom wrote:

You can use the netinst from here (small CD or USB stick)
      debian.org/distrib/netinst

How to install OMV on Debian is described here:
      Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)
      Would you be so kind to let me know how I'm supposed to enter those prompts above to install OMV manually?

I have set up a minimal Debian server,however, I'm getting errors entering the install commands,

Do I have to enter them one by one or altogether?

I also tried to enter the sources manually in /etc/apt/sources.list as I was getting errors.
    • for the first one use the "copy content" in the top right corner of the "script"
      note: it is adding some lines to "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list"
      not the sources list you mentioned

for the second one do it step by step to see if an error happens.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • macom wrote:

for the first one use the "copy content" in the top right corner of the "script"
      note: it is adding some lines to "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list"
      not the sources list you mentioned

for the second one do it step by step to see if an error happens.
      Thanks!

I only found out that I had to edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list and not /etc/apt/sources.list. The result is I messed both configuration files!

I think I might have to reinstall debian.

The problem is that in the beginning when I first entered the whole bunch of source list using the top right corner of the script, something went wrong.

root@debian:~# cat <<EOF >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
      > deb packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis main
      > # deb downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openmediavault/packages arrakis main
      > ## Uncomment the following line to add software from the proposed repository.
      > # deb packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis-proposed main
      > # deb downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openmediavault/packages arrakis -proposed main
      > ## This software is not part of OpenMediaVault, but is offered by third-party
      > ## developers as a service to OpenMediaVault users.
      > # deb packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis partner
      > # deb downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openmediavault/packages arrakis partner
      > EOF

It was then that I tried to enter the sources manually that led me to the above mess.

Thanks for your help and patience.
    • macom wrote:

It is enough if this file

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list

contains this line

deb packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis main
      I deleted all lines in the openmediavault.list conf and entered only the line you suggested.
      However when I try to update I'm getting the error:

root@debian:~# apt-get update
      E: Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list (URI parse)
      E: The list of sources could not be read.

Could it be anything related to the Debian packages I installed during the initial Debian installation?
      I only included the SSH server and nothing else - no desktop, no other component.