New installation failure...

• Was running 3.0.99 on this setup with no problem until the OS hard drive failed. I installed a new hard drive for the OS and OMV. Fresh install from ISO of 4.1.3 with no errors. However, when I rebooted, this is what I got:

Thoughts on how to fix this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then install Debian first.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, yeah, I remember something about this. A major pain in the ass in my situation. I have a 12-drive array. Disconnecting all of them is no easy task.

Did you read the link I gave you it? It said nothing about unplugging drives.

(But yeah.. you should have during install)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Removed all 12 drives. No change.

Did you try install Debian first?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Besides the obvious question "why would I have to install Debian first" when using an installation ISO?"

Because this is what we recommend when you don't/can't follow the recommended install method. It also allows you to choose some custom settings helpful with boot/grub that the OMV ISO doesn't.

I should be able to do a update-grub to save my changes. All I get is a command not found error.

If that command isn't found, you either aren't running as root or the grub2 package isn't installed.

• If you want to get it working without any reinstallation you could do the following:
    get yourself a live medium and boot it
    mount the medium where your installation is, if you have a seperate /boot partition mount it inside the other mount
    chroot into the mounted system
    run update-grub
    if it is not installed run apt-get install grub2
    look at your /etc/fstab and make sure there is nothing like /dev/sdX but a disk-by-uuid
    If not, change to corresponding id
    reboot and you should be fine

It could be enough to change the fstab without chroot and all the stuff.

The problem is, the system creates the alphabetical device names in the order he got the devices. If for example the install medium was listed first, it will be assigned /dev/sda and what ever was assigned /dev/sdb during this boot will be /dev/sda at the next boot without the thumbdrive. /dev/sdl tells me, there were a hell lot of drives connected during installation, which is the reason you should not have used the installation iso. if you use unique disk ids you dont run into this issue, as they always stay the same, whatevery other devices you connect. I know they are somehow bad to type, but you should use them whereever it is possible for this exact reason.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!