OMV broke after running routine update from GUI

• After running routine update from within gui, got kicked out with NGINX forbidden error. Getting not found trying to run omv-firstaid. running apt-get install openmediavault im getting the following error

root@mymediavault:/etc/apt# apt-get install openmediavault
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openmediavault : Depends: proftpd-mod-vroot but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Also , got a bunch of automated emails,

Connection Failed nginx
    Does not exist omv-engined
    Execution failed omv-engined

Kinda freaking out, please help :)

All my dockers are still working, my shared folders are still accessible, just cannot get into gui.

• root@mymediavault:/# apt-get -f install
    Building dependency tree
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    acl acpid attr avahi-daemon beep bind9-host btrfs-progs certbot cifs-utils collectd collectd-core containerd.io
    cpufrequtils cron-apt curlftpfs dmeventd docker-ce docker-ce-cli e2fslibs gdisk geoip-database glusterfs-client
    glusterfs-common groff-base hdparm ifenslave imagemagick-6-common jfsutils jq libacl1-dev libaio1 libattr1-dev
    libavahi-core7 libbind9-140 libcpufreq0 libcurl3 libdaemon0 libdbi1 libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libdns162
    libfile-copy-recursive-perl libfile-slurp-perl libgd3 libgeoip1 libibverbs1 libisc160 libisccc140 libisccfg140
    libjavascript-minifier-xs-perl libjq1 libjs-extjs6 libjs-jquery libjs-sphinxdoc libjs-underscore libjson-perl
    liblocale-po-perl liblqr-1-0 libltdl7 liblvm2app2.2 liblvm2cmd2.02 liblwres141 liblzo2-2 libmagickcore-6.q16-3
    libmagickwand-6.q16-3 libnginx-mod-http-auth-pam libnginx-mod-http-dav-ext libnginx-mod-http-echo
    libnginx-mod-http-geoip libnginx-mod-http-image-filter libnginx-mod-http-subs-filter libnginx-mod-http-upstream-fair
    libnginx-mod-http-xslt-filter libnginx-mod-mail libnginx-mod-stream libnl-3-200 libnl-genl-3-200 libnl-route-3-200
    libnspr4 libnss-mdns libnss3 libntfs-3g871 libonig4 libopts25 libossp-uuid16 libpcsclite1 librdmacm1 libreadline5
    librrd8 libupsclient4 liburcu4 libusb-0.1-4 libxpm4 lsof lvm2 mergerfs monit nginx nginx-common nginx-full ntfs-3g ntp
    nut nut-client nut-server php-bcmath php-cgi php-curl php-fpm php-imagick php-mbstring php-pam
    php-symfony-class-loader php-symfony-polyfill-apcu php7.0-bcmath php7.0-curl php7.0-mbstring pm-utils
    python-apt-common python-dnspython python3-acme python3-apt python3-asn1crypto python3-certbot python3-certifi
    python3-cffi-backend python3-chardet python3-configargparse python3-configobj python3-cryptography python3-dbus
    python3-dialog python3-future python3-idna python3-josepy python3-lxml python3-mock python3-natsort python3-netifaces
    python3-openssl python3-parsedatetime python3-pbr python3-pkg-resources python3-pyudev python3-requests
    python3-requests-toolbelt python3-rfc3339 python3-setuptools python3-six python3-tz python3-urllib3
    python3-zope.component python3-zope.event python3-zope.hookable python3-zope.interface quota quotatool rrdcached
    rrdtool rsync samba samba-vfs-modules sdparm shellinabox smartmontools snapraid socat tdb-tools update-inetd uuid
    wpasupplicant xfsprogs xmlstarlet
    Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

• It's showing a lot of unneeded packages there... I'm guessing some of that got removed with apt-get -f install.

Did you do a clean install or did you try upgrading?

Something definitely went haywire.

Like once a week i check for updates, i tried to update today and was giving me the error about proftpd, i tried the update options from the omv extras page, it kicked me out with the nginx error and seems to have completly removed OMV, every attempt to reinstall gives me the error in my first post.

All my dockers are still running and working, just cannot get the OMV gui back.

• Looking in /usr/sbin all of the omv files are gone, somehow , its completely uninstalled itself. Also, apt-get -f install is now showing this.

The following packages will be REMOVED:
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 478 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    (Reading database ... 140646 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing openmediavault-omvextrasorg (4.1.15) ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-omvextrasorg.postrm: 22: .: Can't open /usr/share/openmediavault/scripts/helper-functions
    dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-omvextrasorg (--remove):
    subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

• Hi there

Same issue here. Just executed the update process from the website and after that I was getting an error when trying to get the new updates. After a reboot I haven't been able to access the website again and I only get the Apache's test page. Connected to the host via terminal and executed all the recomended commands (apt-get autoremove, apt-get -f install, etc.) and nothing. And as stated by happimeal all the omv-* commands are gone so I can't execute omv-mkconf nor omv-distr-upgrade as seen in other websites/threads.

Any solution for this apart from a clean install?

Cheers!

• Hello, I have similar issue running updates from the command line, maybe GUI does apt dist-upgrade automatically.
    This issue arises from a dependency issue with OMV and proftpd-basic upgrade, I don't know how to fix this, it will take someone smarter than I.

proftpd-mod-vroot : Depends: proftpd-abi-1.3.5

root@omv:/etc/apt# apt -u upgrade
    Building dependency tree
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
    proftpd-basic
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

root@omv:/etc/apt# apt -u dist-upgrade
    Building dependency tree
    Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    apt-transport-https avahi-daemon beep collectd collectd-core cpufrequtils cron-apt dh-python dmeventd fontconfig fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu-core gdisk hdparm ifenslave jfsutils jq
    libapparmor1 libasn1-8-heimdal libavahi-core7 libcairo2 libcpufreq0 libcurl3-gnutls libdaemon0 libdatrie1 libdbi1 libdbus-glib-1-2 libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libfile-copy-recursive-perl
    libfile-slurp-perl libfontconfig1 libgd3 libglib2.0-0 libgraphite2-3 libharfbuzz0b libhcrypto4-heimdal libhdb9-heimdal libheimbase1-heimdal libhx509-5-heimdal
    libjavascript-minifier-xs-perl libjbig0 libjpeg62-turbo libjs-extjs6 libjs-jquery libjs-sphinxdoc libjs-underscore libjson-perl libkrb5-26-heimdal liblocale-po-perl libltdl7 liblvm2cmd2.02
    libmagic1 libmemcached11 libmemcachedutil2 libmpdec2 libnl-3-200 libnl-genl-3-200 libnss-mdns libonig2 libopts25 libossp-uuid16 libpango-1.0-0 libpangocairo-1.0-0 libpangoft2-1.0-0
    libperl4-corelibs-perl libperl5.20 libpixman-1-0 libpython3-stdlib libpython3.4-minimal libpython3.4-stdlib libqdbm14 libreadline5 libroken18-heimdal librrd4 librtmp1 libsensors4
    libsnmp-base libsnmp30 libssh2-1 libthai-data libthai0 libtiff5 libvpx1 libwind0-heimdal libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxcb-render0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb1 libxdmcp6 libxext6 libxpm4
    libxrender1 libxslt1.1 lsof lvm2 monit nginx nginx-common nginx-full ntfs-3g ntp openssh-blacklist-extra php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-fpm php5-json php5-pam pm-utils proftpd-basic
    python-apt-common python-dnspython python3 python3-apt python3-dbus python3-dialog python3-lxml python3-minimal python3-natsort python3-netifaces python3-pyudev python3.4 python3.4-minimal
    quota quotatool rrdcached rrdtool rsync samba samba-dsdb-modules sdparm snmpd socat tdb-tools update-inetd uuid wpasupplicant xfsprogs xmlstarlet
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    openmediavault openmediavault-backup openmediavault-omvextrasorg proftpd-mod-vroot
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    proftpd-basic
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/2,433 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 7,086 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
    Abort.
    root@omv:/etc/apt#

root@omv:/etc/apt# apt-get -s install proftpd-basic openmediavault+ openmediavault-backup+ openmediavault-omvextrasorg+
    Building dependency tree
    openmediavault-backup is already the newest version.
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg is already the newest version.
    openmediavault is already the newest version.

root@omv:/etc/apt# apt-get -s install proftpd-basic openmediavault+ openmediavault-backup+ openmediavault-omvextrasorg+ proftpd-mod-vroot+
    Building dependency tree
    openmediavault-backup is already the newest version.
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg is already the newest version.
    openmediavault is already the newest version.
    proftpd-mod-vroot is already the newest version.

proftpd-mod-vroot : Depends: proftpd-abi-1.3.5

thanks

• I really don't want to re-install, I have hours and hours getting this thing dialed in exactly like I wanted it. Hopefully, someone has an amazing solution :).

If not, does anyone know what files I can try and save, and replace to try and get most of my existing configuration back without having to redo. I had scheduled tasks that ran, smb shares, etc?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello, I have similar issue running updates from the command line, maybe GUI does apt dist-upgrade automatically.

You issue is the one kenziner linked that affects OMV 3.x.

Hopefully, someone has an amazing solution :).

Not sure why you have the OMV 3.x problem on OMV 4.x. Were you using ftp?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had used ftp once months ago, but had disabled it, had even ran updates 2 or 3 times since without problem.

That doesn't matter because the update that came out for Debian 8 that is breaking things came out in the last day or two.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml is good for reference

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!