Securely Login to Nextcloud Remotely on Openmediavault on a RPi

• So, I've successfully installed Nextcloud on OMV using a RPi, thanks to TechnoDadLife's videos on YouTube!

Now, I'd like to access my Nextcloud server securely from outside of my home network and was following another guide from TechnoDadLife, but I'm getting stuck on creating a letsencrypt certificate.
    I'm getting this error:

Code
    Unable to register an account with ACME server                                                                     
    ERROR: Cert does not exist! Please see the validation error above. The issue may be due to incorrect dns or port forwarding settings. Please fix your settings and recreate the container

So, I guess it has to do with the port forwarding in my router, I'm not completely sure how to do this. I don't see an external/internal port option. Also, do I have to add my WAN IP Address to it as well? I have a ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A router (see image below)

The guide focuses on creating a DNS at duckdns.org and in the letsencrypt container I have to add my email address I used to sign up for duckdns.org, but I didn't sign up with an email address, I used GitHub instead. So, what value should I put in there as EMAIL?
    Also, is it possible to use a subdomain to my own domain instead?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been meaning to secure my Nextcloud setup. I just finished a couple of hours ago and followed that video to the letter, and Nextcloud set up no problem.

I'm sure it's possible to use your own subdomain, github name, etc.. but I'm not sure on the specifics.

My main reason for posting.. if I'm looking at that picture of your router settings correctly, your ports are backwards. 80 should be triggered, and 90 should be the forwarded port....

Port Forwarding on My Router

• Offizieller Beitrag

Make sure you used the newer videos by @TechnoDadLife duckdns letsencrypt
    You just have to add a valid email address of yours. No connection to duckdns necessary.

Also you can read through this threat, which deals with similar problems: https://forum.openmediavault.o…nfigure-Remote-Nextcloud/

I couldn't get the 2nd one to work.. wasn't sure if it was because I couldn't find the OpenVPN video or what.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What exactly do you mean by 2nd? The letsencrypt video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRt7UlQSB2g&t=

Letsencrypt is working, but I can't figure out how to point it at my Nextcloud container. I've got a feeling something has changed a little more between the two videos that wasn't addressed. I went ahead and completely deleted my Nextcloud container, database, etc. and started over and got it working without https. I've got letsencrypt running w/o error... just not quite sure how to point it at my Nextcloud container.

@TechnoDadLife any thoughts?

• Did you join the nc container and the letsencrypt in a network? On my HC2 the clue was changing the

Code
    proxy_max_temp_file_size 2048m;   to   proxy_max_temp_file_size 1024m;

in the nextcloud.subdomains.conf

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you join the nc container and the letsencrypt in a network? On my HC2 the clue was changing the

Code

Did you join the nc container and the letsencrypt in a network? On my HC2 the clue was changing the

Code

and this is why you don't work on things at 5am...lol

I was so focused on figuring out the letsencrypt side of it, I was completely neglecting the edits that needed to be done to the nextcloud subdomains file.

• Zitat von KM0201

My main reason for posting.. if I'm looking at that picture of your router settings correctly, your ports are backwards. 80 should be triggered, and 90 should be the forwarded port....

Tried to reverse it, but no luck. I'm getting the same error.

Zitat von Morlan

Make sure you used the newer videos by @TechnoDadLife duckdns letsencrypt
    You just have to add a valid email address of yours. No connection to duckdns necessary.

Also you can read through this threat, which deals with similar problems: https://forum.openmediavault.o…nfigure-Remote-Nextcloud/

Thnx, will have a look!

• As expected it had to do with my router. Apparently I had to change the WAN Interface from ADSL to VDSL.

So I'm finally able to create a certificate now, also nginx seems to be working fine. It's show me the "Welcome to our server" message. But after changing the nextcloud.subdomain.conf and the config.php in my Nextcloud installation folder I'm getting an Unable to connect message instead.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A lot of other users reported this issue. Did you try connecting from outside your home network (e.g. mobile phone with mobile data)?

I can get to my nextcloud just fine from my laptop. What I've found, is if I put in my nextcloud local address (192.168.1.xxx:port).. it just forwards automagically to my duckdns address and I just log in securely

OP:

Restart your letsencrypt container in the OMV webUI and give it about 2min to setup and start.

SSh your server as root.

Give it about 2min to run and start, and then type docker logs -f *letsencrypt_container_name*...

So for example I named my letsencrypt container "lets"... docker logs -f lets

Post the output here... just keep in mind it will show the email you registered with duckdns and your duckdns address, so you may want to edit out that specific info... before you paste. If there's an error it will say there. Here's mine running properly... (note I put the personal stuff in big caps, so you should see it easier if you want to edit yours)

• So letsencrypt is right.. that's what seems to hang up most.

I can't really explain what is going on... I would watch the original video again and focus on your nextcloud and duckdns settings.

Yeah, think I'll just do everything over again, I might've missed something.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!