• Hello

First I apologize if this post is a bit all over the place, i am writing this at 1 in the morning and im too tired/lazy to make sure it all makes sense, this post will just be full of my questions about OMV and what i have done so far.
    I have just installed OMV to my old desktop computer and im wondering what i can do with it and where i can learn how to use it.

My goals with this server is:
    Basic NAS (CHeck but i cant seam to access it on my Win10 machine without first SSHing into the server)
    Media Server (Plex Server Checked)
    Minecraft and other game servers
    A home server to mess around with

I have messed around with linux in the past but not much and this is my first time running a headless os dont quite know what i can and cant do.

Can i access and run stuff on debin bypassing OMV?

How do VM's work on OMV?

I have a new CPU and more RAM on the way, will i have to do anything before or after i install them?

Watched a few videos on dockers but would like to know how to set them up when there are no instructions for OMV

Thanks

• Techno Dad Life has a posted very detailed instruction videos in Youtube. I used it to setup my home server.
    I have more modest goals than you do, ie:

Media Server using miniDLNA (Kodi clients)
    File Server and data storage (one IDE drive for the OS + eight Sata drives for data)
    Flexible raid: Unionfs filesystem with Snapraid
    Backup to external USB drive

"I have messed around with linux in the past but not much and this is my first time running a headless os dont quite know what i can and cant do."

Shell-in-a-box will allow you to run the Terminal without having to use a separate monitor.

"I have a new CPU and more RAM on the way, will i have to do anything before or after i install them?"

If it's the same motherboard, you should be able to do it either way.

• I havent installed Shel-in-a-box yet but i know how to SSH into the server so i haven't worried about it yet. i have since removed the Monitor from the computer.

The CPU is the same socket so no motherboards will be upgraded but i should look into a cheap mobo as this only has 2 sata ports

I was thinking of using Kodi but i found out it wouldn't work on the 2 roku boxes i have around the house.

Currently only have the 2 drives, A 1TB WD Green and a 500GB WD Green, thats more then enought for me atm cuase i dont even know what im going to store on it atm but i do want to get a external drive to back up onto.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is essentially just a GUI front for Debian Server. If you can't/don't want to do something via the webUI, you can certainly do it via the command line (over SSH).

Barring some other unexpected hardware issue.. if you're just swapping out CPU's and RAM.. it should be no big deal. Debian will detect the change when it boots.

There is a LONG thread in the Guides section on Docker basics.

Unfortunately Kodi and Roku's is a No Go as you have found (that's why I refuse to purchase them).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Im new to the whole command line linux, can i run OMV and a desktop environment at the same time?

I read somewhere that some of the packages that omv requires can be broken by the desktop, so it's not advised. Not sure how accurate that is though. Beyond that, why would you want to?

Your best bet is to learn to use the system properly as it was designed

• can i run OMV and a desktop environment at the same time?

Yes.
    I use my OMV in a similar way. For me, it's just an linux server (armbian/debian) with the addition of omv. Statistically, more activities are performed by ssh or rdp than by omv webui.

I just did some research about this and herd something about a remotedesktop plugin. what is this

Exactly what the name indicates.
    RDP .... So if you do not want to sit in the terminal and you prefer gui in linux.

• Installing OpenMediaVault on a Desktop enabled can break your Desktop in the way, that the system User is no longer root but a OMV specific one, that locks you out of GUI actions that require the administrative password. I don't know if that behaviour is still a thing on the most recent Debian + OMV.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I think it should not be a problem if you just install a simple windowmanager amd xorg, not the whole desktop environment stuff like gvfs stuff and such.
    Installing xserver and run startx to start fluxbox or awesome and have software installed inside should not infere with user management. This of course is different if you go with the preinstalled desktops like gnome-desktop from repo.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are plenty of things about a desktop environment that can cause problems with OMV (I've seen lots of them on the forum). mounts and networking are the first things that come to mind. I still think that if people want a full desktop instead of using OMV like it was designed - headless - that they should run OMV in a VM.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just forgot to add, that it is always possible to install a desktop inside docker to not harm omv. One just needs to give the gpu device exclusivly to the containers, otherwhise there wont be any interference.

• There are plenty of things about a desktop environment that can cause problems with OMV (I've seen lots of them on the forum). mounts and networking are the first things that come to mind. I still think that if people want a full desktop instead of using OMV like it was designed - headless - that they should run OMV in a VM.

Weird. Personally, I did not have such problems with the minimal XFCE.
    If people have problems, maybe it's really a bad solution for them. But I'm not trying to use X to replace the webui or even the shell. For me, X is just for the convenience of using Kodi, Chromium, uget (aria2) and general support for sound card and RF remote. I did not have any conflicts with the rest of the system.
    Perhaps people are trying to reinvent the wheel. And they are digging in X where they should not and this causes problems.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!