ZFS + OMV4 with some Errors During Installation.

• Hiya all,

New to OMV, but not Linux. I followed the big thread instructions on installing ZFS on OMV4. I installed a fresh install today, updated things and then enabled OMV Extras. Everything went as planned.

I went to install ZFS and during the install received a bunch of errors. As I've never tried ZFS before and this is my first foray into building my own NAS with it (I just did ext4/ext3 with vanilla Linux previously) I thought I'd ask if anyone else has hit them during installation. I saw this thread a little too late and now I get this every time I click on ZFS in the tree:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; zfs list -H -t snapshot -o name,used,refer 2>&1' with exit code '1': The ZFS modules are not loaded. Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.

Then if I click details:

So I've enabled the OMV Testing Repo...done a complete update and then an upgrade...but no joy. Anyone have any tips/tricks to resolve this issue? I'm thinking ZFS didn't completely install from before but I'm not 100% sure what to do from this point onward because I'm not familiar with the packages that need installed/reinstalled again having done everything through the GUI.

• Yeah ZFS plugin seems to be a bit buggy to be honest. I have been messing around with things creating pools and mixing and matching the drives I have (just to understand the raid levels which are somewhat different) and suddenly, all my devices disappear from the pool selection screen. No more pools for me now. It's persistent through reboots...they just don't exist to choose in the drop down any longer.

I've searched through buglists here and found a couple of unresolved bugs that point to someone finding a solution that he can't remember. So I'm out of luck.

Just doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to stick with this. :(

I was doing an article for my blog about it too so I'm sad that it didn't stick. Will most likely have to just go with software RAID.

• I am using zol and omv without issues for quite a while. I have no idea what is buggy about it. The only thing I realized is, that if you got damage in hdds, you might want to fix this from command line.

• I am using zol and omv without issues for quite a while. I have no idea what is buggy about it. The only thing I realized is, that if you got damage in hdds, you might want to fix this from command line.

These are brand new HD's. They show up fine in the "Disks" menu. I can format them to and from any other filesystem. They don't show up any longer in the "ZFS" menu as devices I am able to select. They're gone. SMART shows nothing wrong with the disks.

I think the problem was I created a lot of mix and match pools at the beginning just experimenting with it...then destroyed them all to put it back to original. I'm sure some old pool cruft is causing the plugin issues.

I'm pretty sure I could drop to command line and get this to work with zero issues...but the idea here was to do everything through the GUI (for the article) so that it could be a turnkey solution with very little lifting. So like I said, I'll have to try software

• Offizieller Beitrag

The issue has been fixed, but I believe this fix has not been deployed as as new version of the plugin yet.

This is a huge change. I didn't remember it being merged. I need to look at the changes (again?). I will try to test it but I don't normally use zfs. So, I'm not the best tester. I guess I can put it in the testing repo.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The changes were tested and merged (but not deployed) on Oct 23, 2018 by subzero.

Yep, I saw the merge. I just didn't remember it.

However, I do not promise that the PR I have in mind here solves the same problem as stated above. It sure does look similar, but who knows what exactly happened.

The gpt creation was removed. Maybe it will.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!