Install from USB to USB

• I would like to try and install OMV on an old HP Mediasmart Server EX490. This is a headless server, no option to add a VGA adapter.
    I would like to install OMV to USB. I found this thread on how to do this, but i will need to install OMV fróm an USB drive tó an USB drive:

'The wiki installation instructions weren't clear on this, but you'll then need a second flash drive on which to install OpenMediaVault. The ISO image is an installer drive, and it'll then install OpenMediaVault onto your second flash drive.'

Unfortunately, the article does not describe how to install from one drive to another. I have downloaded the ISO and created the fist USB drive. I have a Windows PC and a Linux (Ubuntu) laptop that I can use for this, but both are UEFI and I cannot get those PC's to boot from the first USB stick.
    I'm new to OMV and I'm possibly overlooking something realy simple. Any help on how to install it on a second drive would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bert-Jan

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, the article does not describe how to install from one drive to another. I have downloaded the ISO and created the fist USB drive.

That will be the boot flash drive, so when install on a new machine it will boot from and you'll select the second usb flash to install to, once complete you remove the usb you flashed the iso to and it will boot from the second. This will error during the boot process as grub is trying to find the first drive, this is easily fixable, I'll try and find the thread. BTW I don't think OMV supports UEFI, to use a UEFI specific board you install debian first, there is information on the forum.

EDIT: This should help with the error 'dropping to shell' when booting from the newly installed OMV

• Thanks for your reply.

The booting is the problem, I can't get my Windows PC or the Ubuntu laptop to boot from the USB stick, due to both PC's being UEFI. I hadn't picked up on installing Debian first though. Tbh not to keen on extra steps, since I'm a OMV newbie and ease of use is important for me, but I'll look into that.
    Thanks for the info about the grub issue.

• May be you can select "legacy" mode in the UEFI settings of your computer. Might be called differently.

That was easier than I thought! Just one switch in the BIOS.
    I could now boot from the first stick and install to the second. Following the advice from the article I mentioned in the first post, I had OMV up and running on my EX490 Mediasmartserver in no time.

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!