Using External HDD with multiple pc

• Greetings to all;

This is my first topic in this forum. For first time I am trying to build OMV into my existing hardware. I have read some docs and threads, but basically two points are not cleared. What I really want to achieve from OMV is: not to plug all my external hdd into my laptop while I come back home, and have some flexibility in the home (such as using laptop in bed etc).

I read that OMV is working fine with external hard drives. But what I am confused about is, in my use case sometimes I have to use intensive disk IO. For these cases I want to unplug external HDD from OMV and plug it directly into my mac. Or I have to get some large datas from office to home. For this case also I have to get my external drives to work and copy datas from there and go back to home.
    What I want to ask is for those use cases (plug and unplug same drive or plug drive to other pc ), is it fine to use external HDD in OMV ? Are there any cons, or any possibility of data loss ?

My second question is about file system for those external drives. I am using Macbook Air as personal computer and imac in office. So I am basically in mac environment, my all external drives is in HFS+ Journaled format. As far as I know OMV is not support HFS+ natively in web interface. What is the easiest way to mount and unmount hfs+ drives into OMV, since I have to plug and unplug the drives. Also generally linux machines does not like the Journaled mode of HFS+, what about OMV's Journaled support ?

For OMV, I want to use my old laptop. (T8300 cpu, 3gb Ram)
    Existing external drives:
    8 Tb 3.5" Wd
    2*2 Tb Sony Raid 0
    2 Tb Wd 2.5"
    1 Tb Wd 2.5"

I am open for other suggestions for these use case.

• For those who are also searching a solution for my case, I have handled my problem in a different way.

After searching and trying different linux distros, NAS solution, freeBSD ect, the final solution that I come up is using a mac-os machine for sharing disk. For now I am trying out very old MacOS Lion setup (the last macos that support 32bit).

I will keep update for future thoughts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!