Server dying every few days - I/O error dev sr0

• Recently I rebuilt my server using new hardware. From an i5 2500k to ryzen 5 1600. I also added a blu ray drive. I moved over the hard drive and did a repair to fix the network. Ever since, it will stop working every few days. Plugging in a monitor shows it throws some errors before dying. A series of I/O errors from sr0, which is the blu ray player. I tried googling the error and most of the results are about problems booting from live cds. I'm not booting from a live CD, and most of the time the error comes up the disk drive is empty.

The errors look like a series of the following before it goes unresponsive.

Code
    print_req_error: I/O error, dev sr0, sector XXXXXXX
    Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block XXXXXXX

Photo of the output https://i.imgur.com/WRT2Gvt.jpg
    I've only seen the CPU stuck watchdog errors a couple of times, mostly it's just the I/O errors.

• So after further digging and testing on my own the past few weeks I'm pretty sure I found the problem and solution. Further testing showed that the errors displayed in the terminal when it hard locked up were not very consistent, so not just showing I/O errors for the Blu Ray like I had originally seen. And nothing would ever be saved to logs. Some things I tried were unplugging the Blu Ray drive, installing official nvidia drivers, removing the GT 710 graphics card, updating BIOS, and reinstalling OMV.

While chasing down an error reported during startup, I happened across others describing the same problems I have been experiencing. Turns out first gen Ryzen processors have issues with idling when running linux. When idling they have a habit of locking up the system. The solution was to go into the BIOS settings and change the 'Power Supply Idle Control' from 'auto' to 'Typical Current Idle'. It's been running stable for the past few days and the symptoms of others for whom this worked all match my own, so I'm hopeful that was indeed the solution.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!