Zotac ZBox MAG HD-ND01 + OMV + Kodi

• Hi guys,

I'm planning to install OMV on a Zotac ZBox MAG HD-ND01. This should be fairly simple, I assume. I was wondering if I could also do video playback directly from the ZBox as well? Does OMV have a built in video playback app or can I install something that would (if possible), give me a nice GUI like Kodi?

I'm open for any idea and feedback. Thanks a lot!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was wondering if I could also do video playback directly from the ZBox as well? Does OMV have a built in video playback app or can I install something that would (if possible), give me a nice GUI like Kodi?

Nope. OMV is meant to be headless. I use a firetv (stick) for the client and sideload kodi on it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the quick reply. I know that the firet stick would be an option as well. If I cannot install Kodi IN OMV, can I install both programs next to each other?

I mean using some light GUI based OS, then install OMV in it and then install Kodi in the OS as well? Could that be an option?

• Not recommended. But I do it like that.
    OMV on armbian with xfce + rdp + kodi. I do not use it for video but as an audio player. Works ok and does not cause problems with omv. But it is not at all that I urge anyone to similar solutions. I know more or less what I am doing and how to deal with it.

• yes i did some research and everyone is saying that it's not a good option... maybe I should give you my scenario and you guys have some suggestions on how to implement it.

My apartment: Synology NAS with tv shows and movies

Friends apartment: Unused Zotac ZBox

Right now she connects with her laptop to my FTP on my NAS and gets the latest episodes of some shows and even watches it on the laptop. Horrible :D

I want to sync my NAS and the ZBox automatically, hook it up to the TV, so she can just startup some media player and the new episodes just pop up.

Basically I don't really need a NAS, I kinda just need a light GUI based (sorry, i'm no CLI fan) OS and something like RSYNC, that checks every few hours, if there are new files in some of my folders. On the OS i install Kodi as well and that's it.

What is the easiest way to do that?

UPDATE: Here TV seems to have a DLNA client installed. It's a Samsung UE55F6340. So, a regular OMV + DLNA plugin should be enough, right?

• My Odroid HC1 which has no video output is truly "headless". OMV does a typical NAS but it does not bother me to use fully the linux on which omv sits.
    So I have a graphical environment installed and remote access using rdp. I have RF remote and sound card attached to usb.
    From the regular user's account I have Kodi running which works as an audio player. Sometimes I even use chromium and uget.
    I did not have any problems with omv. But the fact that it works for me does not mean that I recommend it to others. I only tell how I have it made.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!