New user and new install

• Hello all,
    Long time FreeNAS user looking to switch to something more reliable and user friendly.
    I have a few questions:
    I have 32Gb of ram (4x8) should I reduce that down to 8 during the install to reduce the amount of swap Debian will automagically create?
    I have 6 x 1Tb 3.5 drives
    2 x 240gb ssd
    1 x 512gb nvme
    I have read that the os is not recommended on a USB drive, is the nvme drive over kill?
    The 6 1Tb + 2 ssd’s are on my hba card, will OMV boot from a hba?
    This is all for home storage plus mediaserver.
    What I plan to run is:
    Plex
    Sonarr
    Radarr
    Transmission
    Jackett
    Ombi
    Organizr
    Tautulli
    Pihole

More specs
    Gigabyte MX31-BS0
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v5 @ 3.40GHz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hey Savage,

If you're installing on the NVMe I wouldn't worry about dropping the RAM down, but if it's not too hard pull out as much RAM as you can for the install.

I actually just made a build today, I can't comment on the HBA's as I just use the motherboard SATAs (I don't really use RAID, I have 2x 3TB and 2x 2TB drives and I use Rsync to clone from one to the other each night as a backup - eventually the spare drives will move to a cheap QNAP laying around)

I'd install OMV to the SSD, and then if you plan on running any VM's on your NAS (which I intend to as soon as I get the vbox plugin running) store your VMs on the nvme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pLKcT1tr_Y
    use this guide to split the drive after installing.

NOTE: Use the flash memory plugin to protect the SSD. Also, don't store any crucial data on the nvme drive because you won't be able to recover it if it fails.

------
    Crowley:
    Xeon X5670
    22GB DDR3 RAM
    1x 16TB Exos 1x 240gb Kingston A400 SSD, 1x 480gb Kingston A400 SSD
    OMV6 on top of Proxmox 7.1

Aziraphale:
    QNAP TS-431
    2x WD 3TB, 2x WD 2TB - basically a backup server for Odin

• What lets you believe FreeNAS would be unreliable? If your issue is faulty hardware (e.g. using non-ECC RAM that throws bit flips) then your 'OMV experience' will be as unreliable as with any other NAS distro...

Sorry forgot to mention I do have ECC memory.

• By installing OMV to the SSD I think you mean the NVMe? Then reuse the space on that drive for VM’s? I’ll mainly be using docker containers rather than VM’s.
    From my testing so far with my HBA card (IBM m1015 flashed to IT mode) I can install OMV to one of the SSD’s but not boot from it. So the two options I have left are the 512Gb NVMe (it’s a cheap adata one) or USB. If I choose to go the USB route plus the flash memory plugin would USB 3.0 be better? 16Gb or 32Gb? As I’ll buy a few to make clones. I do have easy access to the RAM so I’ll remove 3/4 sticks for install as I don’t think I’ll need that much swap? I could be wrong.

• By installing OMV to the SSD I think you mean the NVMe? Then reuse the space on that drive for VM’s? I’ll mainly be using docker containers rather than VM’s.
    From my testing so far with my HBA card (IBM m1015 flashed to IT mode) I can install OMV to one of the SSD’s but not boot from it. So the two options I have left are the 512Gb NVMe (it’s a cheap adata one) or USB. If I choose to go the USB route plus the flash memory plugin would USB 3.0 be better? 16Gb or 32Gb? As I’ll buy a few to make clones. I do have easy access to the RAM so I’ll remove 3/4 sticks for install as I don’t think I’ll need that much swap? I could be wrong.

• From my testing so far with my HBA card (IBM m1015 flashed to IT mode) I can install OMV to one of the SSD’s but not boot from it. So the two options I have left are the 512Gb NVMe (it’s a cheap adata one) or USB. If I choose to go the USB route plus the flash memory plugin would USB 3.0 be better? 16Gb or 32Gb? As I’ll buy a few to make clones. I do have easy access to the RAM so I’ll remove 3/4 sticks for install as I don’t think I’ll need that much swap? I could be wrong.

Just trying to give you other options --- to be honest using a 512gb NVMe is a shocking waste for OMV - so I'd partition it so I can find some use for the space, or even buy a really cheap M2 drive.

(NVMe =/= M2 SSD...

M2 = normal SSD with SATA3 speed on M2 connection
    NVMe = M2 connector but uses the PCIe channels for way more speed.)

OMV runs perfectly fine on an 8gb or even 16gb USB3 drive - but I find it's a little more stable if you can use a SATA or M2 port as the USB drives are doomed to eventually fail.

------
    Crowley:
    Xeon X5670
    22GB DDR3 RAM
    1x 16TB Exos 1x 240gb Kingston A400 SSD, 1x 480gb Kingston A400 SSD
    OMV6 on top of Proxmox 7.1

Aziraphale:
    QNAP TS-431
    2x WD 3TB, 2x WD 2TB - basically a backup server for Odin

• I appreciate the thoughts. I’ll look into a smaller m.2, I think I may have a 240GB m.2 drive somewhere, if I do I’ll use that for OMV.
    Next thing is should I use version 5 beta? Or stick with the latest 4. I see on the omvextras site they do not have 5 listed in the guides so I would be limited to what plugins etc. I could install to what comes with OMV.
    I’ve tried to install on a 8Gb USB 3.0 drive and it gave an error about partitioning even with only 8Gb ram in my machine.

• I appreciate the thoughts. I’ll look into a smaller m.2, I think I may have a 240GB m.2 drive somewhere, if I do I’ll use that for OMV.
    Next thing is should I use version 5 beta? Or stick with the latest 4. I see on the omvextras site they do not have 5 listed in the guides so I would be limited to what plugins etc. I could install to what comes with OMV.
    I’ve tried to install on a 8Gb USB 3.0 drive and it gave an error about partitioning even with only 8Gb ram in my machine.

Sorry for the double posts I’m not sure what’s happening.

• 4 it is. And yes I have an intel 250Gb m.2 drive I’ll swap in for the os drive.
    On FreeNAS I was running ZFS raidZ2, the pool is already backed up and all 6 drives wiped ready for reinstall but is ZFS still the “best” option? Could I just go for raid6? And still have my 2 drives for parity/failure tolerance?

• is ZFS still the “best” option? Could I just go for raid6?

RAIDz2 is superior compared to mdraid6 with whatever filesystem on it...

M2 = normal SSD with SATA3 speed on M2 connection

M.2 is just a mechanical connector able to carry a bunch of different protocols (even something as crappy as USB2 would be possible with M.2).

• I tried my intel m.2 this morning and unfortunately the installer isn’t detecting it. Tested in my desktop and works 100%. I think that’s maybe why I stuck the NVMe drive in there.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!