FTP for a Beginner

• Howdy OMV commumity! I'm trying to create an FTP server for a few shared folders on my NAS. I've read a few help topics, but I've come to the conclusion I'm not nearly as unix-saavy as most here. Hopefully you can help. Here's my setup:
    Hardware:
    HP laptop with i3 dual core 2.5, 4gb dual channel RAM.
    2 physical drives divided into three partitions, 2gb for the system, 465gb for media (plex server), and 440 gb for random storage.
    The plex server works wonderfully, and I have the smb option set up so I can access my media and storage files from my computers on the network.

I have the FTP option enabled, port switched to a non-standard port (basic security precaution). I designated the storage as a share in the FTP shares tab, and granted read permission to all users. I've set up my router to forward that port to the OMV machine. I can access the FTP site from my home network using the local IP address just fine, however trying to access it from outside my LAN is proving troublesome. I've tried using an Android based FTP client from my phone, and having a friend access it via Chrome using ftp://Guest: Any help would be appreciated.

Using OMV to breathe new life into an old laptop:
    HP G42 laptop, second 500GB drive in place of DVD tray
    Plex server and general network storage
    FTP server: In progress

• For security I would set up users and passwords to access the system via ftp and would do so over secure ftp. But if you must...

WARNING - by doing this you are opening your system up to the world and all of its goodness and BADNESS. Anyone, anywhere, would be able to access your system, the entire LAN your system is on and all of it's systems and do who knows what. It's kind of like taking all the doors off your house and leaving it that way. Do so at your own risk and peril.

Did you open the port in your router (port forwarding) that you selected for the ftp? I'll use 1234 as example. Pick an unused port.

Then you need to find the IP you are assigned by your ISP. Most search engines will show it by searching for 'my ip' Not mine 98.138.11.157 one of Yahoo's

Then to access it from outside your LAN use that IP.

You might also be able to access it from the browser address bar as

Code
    ftp://98.138.11.157:1234

note the example :1234 port number.

REPEATING - Do so at your own risk and peril.

There are other ways that have some security. Search for 'http file sharing'

• I just realized that the forum didn't really translate everything I put up. I do indeed have a Guest user, with an actual password. The Guest account has been modified so that it does not have access to anything other than the shared folder through OMV. I have enabled the specified port to be forwarded to the machine in my router's settings. Is it correct to assume that my home network has a single external IP, and that the port forwarding within the router is what sends incoming traffic to the external IP to the correct machine? Thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it.

BTW, I had been using the same ftp:// format you specified, with the addition of the <username>:<password>@<address>:<port> in the address line.

Using OMV to breathe new life into an old laptop:
    HP G42 laptop, second 500GB drive in place of DVD tray
    Plex server and general network storage
    FTP server: In progress

• Each router is slightly different in it's port forwarding. Refer to the manual for specifics.

The external IP assigned by your ISP is the one to your modem and the WAN port of the router. The internal IP's of your LAN - generally 192.168.0.xxx - are only used inside your LAN they are not accessible beyond your router.

Generally port forwarding takes the IP of the server - example 192.168.1.12 and the port number :1234 and it will take the incoming request from the WAN IP as long as the port number is added like 123.23.12.13:1234 and then send that request to 192.168.1.12 on port 1234 Somewhere though there has to be a setting changed to allow FTP to work on port 1234 in addition to or replace the existing port 21 which is normally used. Sometimes this can be done at the router other times it is done at the server. So if the router sees an incoming request to 123.23.12.13:1234 and if the router translates the port it sends the request to 192.168.1.12:21, or if the router does not translate the port it sends the request to 192.168.1.12:1234 and the server works with it.

Just keep things secure and only use port forwarding when needed. Also be careful as most ISP's don't take to kindly to using home service to share our servers with folks outside our LAN.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!