Cannot delete removed disk from storage>file systems

• I had a 4TB external host powered USB drive (Samsung M3 portable) which I had initially configured with OMV. After having a few issues with it I shit down, removed the drive, plugged it into my Ubuntu laptop & used Gparted to format the drive with the intention of pushing my data onto it then re-adding the drive to the system.
    At the moment the drive is not attached, and it is correctly reported as missing from the storage>file systems section.
    However, my feeling is that I would like to remove anything related to this drive from OMV and when I introduce the drive again, it will look at it like a "fresh new drive".
    But, in storage>file system, if I select the drive (so it goes yellow), I do not have the ability to delete it as it is greyed out.
    Unsure how to proceed.. any ideas? Many thanks!

PS I'm new to the forum & installed OMV with tuts from "dad" and using this forum & Reddit. Thanks to everyone who contrbutes!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The correct procedure to remove a drive/filesystem is the exact reverse steps from how you add one.

Most likely you still have some service that is trying to use the filesystem on the missing drive. And that is why you can't t delete it. Shut off the service that tries to use the filesystem and then try to delete it.

That said, I have resorted to a complete reinstall to fix problems with filesystems that I can't fully remove. Most likely because I don't know OMV well enough. It seemed faster than to figure out what the problem was and how to fix it.

• M34TBGeneral is the name of the disk that is causing me a problem. That screenshot shoes me trying to remove my own priveleges from the disk.

I've been plumbing away at this all week (not this problem, just config) and I'm Loathe to wipe and start again just because of this one problem.

If it's the only way then I suppose it is what it is, but surely that must be a last resort!

Thanks for the help!

• Here's the full error output:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-M34TBGeneral.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Assertion failed on job for sharedfolders-M34TBGeneral.mount.
    Error #0:OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-M34TBGeneral.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Assertion failed on job for sharedfolders-M34TBGeneral.mount. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(160): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('restart', NULL, false)#2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/sharedfolders.inc(66): OMV\System\SystemCtl->restart()#3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleSharedfolders->startService()#4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusVN...', '/tmp/bgoutputKl...')#8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))#9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)#10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)#11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)#13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)#14 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

But, in storage>file system, if I select the drive (so it goes yellow), I do not have the ability to delete it as it is greyed out.
    Unsure how to proceed.. any ideas? Many thanks!

You need to plug the drive back in to OMV, otherwise you will have to edit OMV's config.xml file manually.

Plug the drive back and remove any SMB shares, then any Shared folders you should then be able to remove/unmount the drive from OMV, you don't to remove a user.

• Hi @geaves thanks for that... if I go into access rights management>shared folders I can see the drive and it shows a share, but if I select it I can only edit, not delete. Is there a way round that?

Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

if I go into access rights management>shared folders I can see the drive and it shows a share, but if I select it I can only edit, not delete.

You can only delete it if the drive is attached otherwise you have to edit the config.xml file.

Searching the forum I found this follow from there or look at the first post you may find that a help.

• OK so the drive is attached but I think I know what the problem is. As I was having some trouble with it, when I took it out and formatted it in Ubuntu using Gparted I didn't label the drive, so maybe the system is looking for the drive under the label I had.

SO... I had the bright idea of shutting the system down, removing the drive, putting it back into my Ubuntu laptop, running Gparted & putting the correct label on the drive.

Now I must be thick because I put the drive back into the server & started the system. It shows disk is mounted & online & it shows it as a shared folder, but if I access the server I don't see the shared folder. I checked that my user login has access & priveleges, all is correct but I still can't see the folder, very frustrating!

Any ideas as I'm nearing the point of going full Rambo on it! Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!