cifs over wan

• Hi, I can't get cifs working over the internet. Works over lan.

Here is the situation (fake numbers but in line with reality):

My home ip: 208.67.15.123
    My routers LAN side IP: 192.168.56.1(Static)

My computers nic ip: 192.168.56.30 (Static)
    My virtual computers nic ip: 192.168.56.31 (Static) (A virtualBox installation of omv using bridged networking).

ROUTING:
    -omv (192.168.56.31) can be reached via ping and cifs from any computer in LAN.
    -in router i port forwarded port 445 to point to computer 192.168.56.31.

Security:
    -On host computer no firewall. No security soft.
    -omv is what it is when you get it as a virtualbox image for the most part.
    -the laptop that tries to connect to omv has no sec software or firewall.

When I'm not home i try to connect to cifs share as such \\208.67.15.123\MyShare\
    and it times out. I use the Win 7 GUI so this is the map share to drive button in Win 7. I select use different credentials and type in Username and password when prompted...

Any ideas?

• I never tried to use a smb share over wan, it is not made for it and i wouldn't recommend it.

Use VPN, owncloud or something like that.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Fair enough. How can I use VPN with omv?
    That is something that is setup and configured server side, no?
    Since the server is omv, I need omv to have a vpn feature, no?

I'm not a Linux ninja. :) What do you guy suggest?

Should I do apt-get openvpn at the omv command line or what?

• NFS, no. WebDAV yes. What type of files do you want to access over the web? If it is document files and to be able to upload/download you should look at Owncloud script. If it is media file and to watch you should look at PlexMediaServer. Give more info.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!