Possible to auto switch off/on

• Hi there.

I have a couple of proliant servers running openmedia vault.

My house hold electric bills are getting out of hand, not helped by the amounts of things I have running 24/7 including these servers.

Is there any way they can automatically switch off and on at pre set times? Would I require some mad bios skillz to achieve this?

• The auto power on is "sometime available in the BIOS" but never seen it on servers.

By concept servers are meant to be on 24/7. I would expect a Proliant server be "heavy" on your energy bill. Don't be surprised of HW issues after you power on/off a server on a daily basis fro long time. A similar analogy is the headers parking offered by the latest "green" HD, everybody suggest not to use them as it shortens the HD life in exchange of pennies on your energy bill.

Have you considered switching hardware to something smaller? OMV is not HW demanding at all.

Finally a PSU with efficiency 85%+ would help

HTH

• Yea shutdown I would guess is easy, getting it back harder.

I suppose some sort of sleep state would suffice.

Although I am confident the proliants are not the primary issue, we still have an electric bill of around 150 quid a month, which needs to stop very quickly! I reckon they are using 500 watts between them on constantly.

What would be considered a suitable alternative though? The problem is an alternative might be very expensive, so I save nothing over the life of the product. The proliant was 100 quid with rebate.

• I'd say the alternative is based on your storage requirements.
    How much data do you have? How many data disks?

I run OMV into a smallish server tower where I have installed ESXi and mapped 4 data disks in total. I didn't have any choice at the time, nowadays I would just get a small desktop pc (like ex corporate or something) a USB stick for the OMV and 1x 4TB data disk. Unless you're doing much more than simple file sharing...

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "rs232"

a USB stick for the OMV

Bad idea...

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No one here, and not even volker, ever suggested to use a thunb stick or any kind of flash storage except a SSD to install OMV onto it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Ask the people who used a stick if it still works or how long it worked.

Get rid of the Idea or Debian/OMV gets rid of the stick for you.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "rs232"

For reference, what is the exact reason why this is not suggested?

The number of writes is high which kills the drive quickly.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!