New Share Missing Volumes

• This looks like a really interesting and useful app. I've successfully installed this on my HP MediaVault 2120, but I am unable to create a share. The problem is exactly the same as here:

http://forums.openmediavault.o….php?f=14&t=1263&start=10

However, I am using the latest version of Wheezy and Sardaukar so perhaps a different solution to fix. I am using two 500MB drives with a LVM and have tried both with RAID and w/out with same results. I suppose I could rebuild w/out the LVM. Any ideas on what could be wrong and/or what I could do to research issue?

thx
    jp

• Thanks for the feedback. So I've rolled back to squeeze (version 6.0.8) and sardaukar with the exact same result. Again, I have RAID0 with LVM, but no volumes when I try to add a shared folder. I've tried Chrome and FF. Could I be doing something wrong in the UI? It seems pretty straightforward. Is there any way I can debug this? In firebug I see an RPC call with a response... {"response":false,"error":null}. Monit and Watchdog appear to be working according to logs. There are no errors in the weblogs. Please let me know if you have ideas. I'd be glad to do some experimenting.

• Just tested. Works perfect. You are doing something wrong.

You may have to click on apply that pops up on these steps so make sure you look for them.
    1. Create Raid 0 with 2 drives or virtual drives
    2. Add Raid 0 to Physical Volumes, create VG and LV.
    3. Go to filesystems section in web-gui format LV with ext4 and then mount
    4. create shared folder
    5. share via smb/cifs

No problem.

Tested with virtual disks on a vm. Took me only like 2 minutes to setup. Try that in cli, :D

• Looks like I'm getting mixed-up on where I need to be creating the RAID and LVMs. Here is what I'm doing:
    1) I run the HP MV2120 bootstrap program, which starts the debian installer
    2) I go through normal installation up to the point where I partition my two 500GB disks using partman with the following config:
    - I create a 100MB ext3 /boot partition on one of the drives
    - I create RAID partitions for the remaining space on each drive
    - I setup RAID0 using the two RAID partitions
    - I create a LVM on top of the RAID0 device
    - I create an 8GB root / partition
    - I create a 2GB swap partition
    - I leave the rest of the space unused
    3) I finish my Debian installation and install OMV
    4) I go into OMV to try to setup a share, but I don't have any devices.

I am confused on where I need to create the RAID and LVM devices. Do I use partman or a combination of it and OMV?

Again, thanks for the help with this!

• Do not create the RAID 0 or LVM during installation. After install use Gparted, burn a disk and boot to it, to create 2 partitions (the same size) with the leftover space on each drive. Then go into the web-gui and you should be able to create the RAID 0 from the 2 partitions. Follow steps I showed above to finish the job.

PS- I would recommend a separate disk for the system disk, an ssd or small laptop drive. But it sounds like you may not have that option.

• So I have reached this point. I installed debian and OMV on separate small partitions on both drives and left the vast majority of space unused. Then I ran GParted and created two new partitions (identified as EXT4--is that right???). The web GUI doesn't let me use any of this space. No devices show in the drop-down. Do I need to make these partitions another type (i.e. a volume for RAID perhaps) in GParted?

Agreed I'd love a separate disk for the system, but on this device it's not possible. It's headless and basically has 1 or at most 2 HDDs to store everything.

• Try without formatting the partitions. Before you do anything check and see it the partitions are showing under filesystems in the web-gui. Are they availabe for mounting? Don't mount them just checking.

• If I leave both partitions as unused I do not see them nor can I create them in Filesystem--The device drop-down is blank when I attempt to Create. However, if I do partition them in GParted as ext4 I see both available in Filesystems. They initially appear online and unmounted, but I still cannot create anything in RAID. I've mounted them and tried RAID again, but still no luck. I can never get anything to appear in the device drop-down on any page.

• Zitat von "jpeak"

[...] I've mounted them and tried RAID again, but still no luck.[...]

Huh? You mounted the two disks with an ext4 filesystem and then want to see them in the RAID Array creation? Thats senseless.

Do you see both hard disks under Physical Drives? Go there and wipe them both. Then check the RAID tab...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• If the 2 partitions are blank you do not try to create a filesystem yet. You must 1st create the RAID 0 in the Storage/Raid Management section of the web-gui. Were the partitions not available in the Raid Management when you click on create and then looked under devices? The only thing you will mount is the logical volume (LV) after your have formatted it as ext4. Look at steps I wrote before.

David was too fast...

• Zitat

Were the partitions not available in the Raid Management when you click on create and then looked under devices?

Correct. I do not see any partitions in RAID Management no matter what I do. In fact, I only see two devices under "Filesystems" and am unable to create any new one there. I've tried leaving space free on my drives, creating ext4 partitions in GParted and also creating partitions in the debian installation and just leaving them marked "do not use". Again, no devices appear when I try to create anything in Filesystems or RAID Management. What is odd is that I only see my /boot device (ext3) as /dev/sda1 and the two ext4 partitions (created from GParted) as /dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb2. I would expect to see my root partition (ext4) as /dev/sda2 and my swap partition as /dev/sdb1.

Another thing I should point out related to one of David's posts is that I cannot wipe any drive because my OS is installed on them. An HP MV2120 is a headless device that can support 2 X 500GB drives. Currently debian root and boot are on one and swap on the other. I suppose I could put the OS on one and OMV on the second, but that seems kind of a waste to install a 2GB OS on a 500GB drive.

The only other thing I can think of is some strange incompatibility with an older ARM chip. I am running the following system:

Linux olive 2.6.32-5-orion5x #1 Tue Sep 24 19:58:31 UTC 2013 armv5tel

I am sorry this is such a pain. I would really love to get OMV working on this as it is so much better than the crappy HP software that came with this. Any other suggestions?

• Under Filesystems OMV can only create ONE Filesystem per Hard Drive. Nothing will show up there when you already have a partition on that drive, get rid of this idea. OMV can only create one partitions per Hard Drive. So wipe them and make a RAID and LVM afterwards and theeeeeeeeeeeeeen you create the filesystem. Not any other way around.

Also the GUI just shows your raw devices. So you won't see swap...

Ah... you only have these two drives, well then you're forced to use the commandline anyway, let Ryecoaaron give you the commands to create your RAID0 on the CLI and creating the LVM afterwards...

I'm out here...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• jpeak, can you give me full specs of your system. When you installed you setup a RAID 0, am I right? Then you installed Debian Squeeze and then OMV. So now we are just dealing with trying to get the unallocated space from each drive into a LVM, yes?

Tell me device, I saw processor.

Edit, saw info. on your system above.

• I deleted the 2 ext4 partitions. Ok here is how you have to setup the lvm partitions in gparted for them to show in the Logical Volume Management section.

The size you can use all the unallocated space from one disk and the label can be whatever you want. Make sure filesystem drop down is lvm2 pv, apply the settings.

Then drop down the device arrow and switch to the other drive. Do the same thing with it's unallocated space.

After you do this in gparted shutdown and take out disk. Then boot OMV. Go into web-gui at the Storage/Logical Volume Management section.
    You will now see your lvm partitions in the Physical Volumes. You don't need to do anything on that TAB.
    Goto the Volume Group Tab and create your volume group using both your lvm partitions (volumes) from gparted. Make sure you apply.
    Now go to next Tab and create your Logical volume using your Volume Group.
    Then go to filesystems. You will see your LV. Create a filesystem on it, ext4, and mount it.
    All your unalllocated space from both drives now shows as a single mounted LV.

PS- from looking over your setup I'm pretty sure you installed it as a RAID 0. So I think you were just looking to combine the unallocated space. :D:D
    PPS- you didn't even have the LVM plugin installed. :shock:

• Saw you did not install on Raid 0. I would drop the Raid 0. You are getting 65 percent CPU usage with just graph writes. Not a very strong CPU.

PS- I would not put .5 OMV on this machine. It is slow with .4 but with .5 it would be really really slow.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!