• Hi,

Being brandnew to OVM until now I am pretty happy with it.

I use it for home use just to feed my diskless mediaplayer and the mobile devices of the family. So it is not a really big or exiting thingy.
    Installed ovm on a 80 GB disk and the datadisk is ext4, 1 TB. 3 partitions are on it (of which 2 will be removed later on) but the biggest 1, over 800 GB is set and used bij OVM. Put a share on it and everybody is happy.

Now I added this other 300GB disk to the system. OVM does see it and I can mount it. However I cannot find how to use this LVM thing (installed lvm2 plugin) to add the 300 GB to my existing logical volume of 800 GB? OVM shows 1 volumegroup of the 1TB. Also lvm shows just 1 disk (in the lvm part of ovm I mean. In the physical disks part of OVM I see all disks just fine). and I cannot add another one. The dialog I see when I push the add button seems pretty useless. The Log. volume tab shows 3 volumes, 1 for each partition.

That biggest partition is mounted to /media/verybiganduglynumber. Also I added a symlink /storage for my (ssh) convenience. I would like to have these 300 GB partation on the 3rd diskadded to the volume of that 800GB disk to make it 1200 GB.

Am I thinking wrong or doing something wrong?

Can I create a new lvm without loosing the data or something?
    Is there a nice tutorial on how to configure this lvm thingy and the do's and dont's?
    Am not interested in raid set-up. As said it is home usage and just entertainment.

A back-up now and then is safe enough ;)

Cheers and THIA.
    Eric

• LVM just can't be explained that easy. It takes time to learn how to use it. The implementation of it in OMV almost makes it to easy for novices to use. I looked for some videos on you tube for you but they are all command line. With LVM you can add partitions or disks with pvcreate(Physical Volume tab in OMV), which is the just basically add the drives or partions to make a Physical Volume, this is combining the partitions and drives you want into a single Physical Volume. Then you create a Volume Group with space from the Physical Volume. Lastly, you create a Logical Volume. The Logical Volume has to be formatted then mounted in the filesystem section of OMV.I recommend you do some reading before you use LVM. I think for a first time user of LVM it is best to have emtpy hard drives. You will get confused if you are using partitions along with a full disk. Get a grasp of pvcreate, Volume Group and Logical Volume fist.

• Thnx for the reply.
    To be honest, I am a bit confused.
    I work in IT (not on system level, but applciation mgt level, say JBoss, websphere, and so on). So cli is not really a problem.
    In the past I remmeber when we needed extra spcae at work, extra luns were added to existing volumes without the need to restore data. Just on the fly.

Isn't that possible with the OVM way of LVM?

Cheers, Eric

• Now you are mixing in iscsci. What do you want to do with LVM? If your goal is to create a single LV out of varying size partitions or drives then this is what it can do. But if a drive dies you will lose all your data. Maybe we should ask what type of data do you want to use with LVM. To prevent data loss with a dead drive you would have to use RAID (e.g 5 or 6) and then LVM on the RAID. If you are experienced you can download a vm for virtualbox. If you go to the How/Tos you will find links to preconfigured .4 OMV vms. There is one that is preconfigured with 5 virtual dirves. You can put it on Virtualbox and play around til you get better understanding of LVM in OMV.

• Zitat

What do you want to do with LVM? If your goal is to create a single LV out of varying size partitions or drives then this is what it can do

That is exactly what I mean.
    But preferrably without loosing my current data. Am not too worried about it, no need for raid, but if cando without loosing it, that would be cool.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!