Help me make lm-sensors work?

• I want to use a temperature plugin but am running into several problems...
    My board is Asus P8B75-M LX PLUS and i'm running 0.4.36 / 2.6.32-5-amd64 and if i do a simple

Code
    apt-get install lm-sensors

No sensors are detected
    So i manually installed a newer version (lm-sensors 3.3.4) and now i get this message when running

Code
    sensors-detect

Since i'm still getting the same sensors output

Code
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +92.0°C)
    temp2:        +29.8°C  (crit = +92.0°C)

Which is not the actual temperature, I'm guessing i need to install this nct6775 driver...
    I downloaded this driver https://github.com/groeck/nct6775/ but when i try to build it i'm getting this error

Code
    compat.h:32: error: I2C_CLIENT_END undeclared here (not in a function)

The only thing i could find online is that i would need to patch the kernel with i2c? Is that true? Is that possible?
    I couldn't find how to do that so i'm lost now ... :)

When sensors-detect runs i see this output

Code
    Module i2c-i801 loaded successfully.
    Module i2c-dev loaded successfully.

which makes me think maybe this ict is already installed? Maybe i just got the wrong kernel header? I used this command

Code
    apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Edit:
    I got it to compile by adding 2 things to the compat.h

Code
    #include <linux/i2c.h>
    static unsigned short normal_i2c[] = { 0x290, I2C_CLIENT_END };

I chose 0x290 because it showed up in the sensors detect dialog

Code
    Found `Nuvoton NCT5532D/NCT6779D Super IO Sensors'          Success!
        (address 0x290, driver `nct6775')

sensors-detect now doesn't show the warning that no driver was found but the values i get are still the same :(
    The problem is that i don't even know if anything i did makes any sense since i have 0 knowledge about all this stuff

• I figured some things out ...
    if i do

Code
    modprobe nct6775

sensors will show me much more information, i'm not sure yet how useable the values are but some are close...

But when i do

Code
    modprobe coretemp
    FATAL: Error inserting coretemp (/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko): No such device

I'm getting this error which i guess means my CPU isn't yet supported so my plan is to update the kernel.

And now the 100% OMV related question:
    If i use this guide http://linuxg.net/how-to-insta…int-debian-and-derivates/ to update to kernel 3.11.4 will that screw up the OMV configuration?
    Will it still boot like it did before ? I currently have no keyboard or screen plugged into the NAS so ....

• To your Kernel-question:
    If you need the newer kernel, if you have newer hardware, which isn't supported by 2.6 or 3.2, then test it. Plugin a keyboard and monitor, if it doesn't boot to see the log-files. I haven't tested the newest kernel 3.11, but the one from 3.2-backports is working flawless.
    If there are any problems you can boot the old kernel and remove the new one.
    But remember: Never change a running system ;)

• I just updated the kernel and it still boots and seems to work just fine.
    Updating was a bit more complicated than i hoped, had to get a different version of libc6 first which required to add a testing apt source.

The coretemp driver now recognized my cpu and i get plausible temperatures :)

If anyone knows of any negative side effects that might occur now or later on please let me know.

• The backports kernel doesn't work with the iSCSI inplementation.

Thats the only side effect that I know off.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

The backports kernel doesn't work with the iSCSI inplementation.

Really? Then it should be added to the HowTo's

• I don't have the post at the moment, but Aaron just said this some days ago.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "davidh2k"

I don't have the post at the moment, but Aaron just said this some days ago.

Volker told me that is why OMV doesn't use the backports kernel by default.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!