Backup a live system

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it is not an arm system, then you do not need to wipe the drive or reinstall anything. The plugin saves the mbr and the filesystem. So, writing the mbr then the filesystem archive back to the ssd will give you a restored,functioning system again.

fsarchiver would be much easier to explain how to do this. I will have to post more later. The plugin sucks for noobs and it makes me want to pull it...

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's good news! I was just wondering how your plugin would be able to save a running system completely. Even clonedisk is not able to do this. But if so, I will give it a try and post here. Currently, I have my SSD connected via USB. How can I restore the files I backuped with "dd" onto that usb drive? It seems that the GUI does not have an option for this. The GUI looks like you are only able to restore to the system from which the GUI is running. You don't have to pull it. We can figure it out maybe. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's good news! I was just wondering how your plugin would be able to save a running system completely. Even clonedisk is not able to do this.

It will backup the system but there is no guarantee the backup is consistent. A snapshot is the closest thing that can do that.

How can I restore the files I backuped with "dd" onto that usb drive? It seems that the GUI does not have an option for this

You can't restore a backup over a running system. You need to boot a rescue disk which is where it is difficult for noobs.

You don't have to pull it. We can figure it out maybe.

Easy to say for you. I only have so much time and I don't want to spend it all on restores. The best backups are still booting clonezilla (on i386/amd64) or win32diskimager (arm).

Did I understand correctly, that a backup done with fsarchiver instead of dd would be easier to put on the SSD? I will do one then!

Easier? yes. There is a thread about restoring that.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, if you can not even outline shortly how to use the files for restoring then you should probably pull the plugin.

That is starting sound like I have never done that........ I see you found the thread about fsarchiver but did you look at the first post of this thread? I did outline it and I have in quite a few other threads. I'm sorry I didn't make the plugin easy enough to restore but that is because restore is not easy with the options I had to work from. I won't pull the plugin because that punishes the people who like the plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't have to make the plugin more restore-friendly, but we (I) need some sort of advice of how to restore, of course.

please ask for help in a new thread for restoring - not easy!

Here is my quote from the first post about advice... I have advised many people on how to restore. It is very difficult to give generic advice. A new thread with exact details is the best way. And try to remember, I volunteer my time writing these plugins and I think my time is better used creating the plugins since very few people write them. Writing documentation is something I hate and something many other people can do that may not be able to write a plugin.

You also don't have to use the plugin to backup. There are probably hundreds of clonezilla tutorials on the internet if you have an amd64/i836 system. If you have an arm system, there are probably hundreds of win32diskimager tutorials on the internet.

• Why would a plugin for backup be usefull without a guide on how to use it for restoring? I know that writing this stuff is volunarily and I am not pressing you to do anything. But I just wonder why you would write a plugin for backup without a guide to restore? Why would anyone use that plugin?

• And what exact details do you need? I have a amd64 OMV system with a device running the OS on (as usual) and a device I want to put the restore on (as ususal). How do I put in a general way the fsarchiver files onto the target device?

EDIT: Maybe we talk about different things and I need to read about fsarchiver and systemrescueCD. http://www.fsarchiver.org/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why would a plugin for backup be usefull without a guide on how to use it for restoring? I know that writing this stuff is volunarily and I am not pressing you to do anything. But I just wonder why you would write a plugin for backup without a guide to restore? Why would anyone use that plugin?

This is my last post on this plugin... I did write a general guide in the *first* post. I did write a post after I added the dd and fsarchiver options. Did I put in pretty format in the guides section? no because I'm lazy and google works. No one reads half the shit I write anyway. They just ask in a new thread about stuff I have already posted.

And once again, I wrote this plugin for myself. If people can't figure it out, don't use it. I don't really care if anyone uses it. There are plenty of other options that probably better...

• "And once again, I wrote this plugin for myself. "

Okay, got it. :)

I will try to copy my setup via the plugin-backup, fsarchiver and systemrescueCD to my other SSD and post a guide on how to do this.

Thanks for your programming, anyway! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Backup - (don't mount the backup drive using web interface unless it will be there when you restore)

The idea of the backup plugin is to backup to a data drive (since it uses a shared folder) on a fairly regular basis. So, that does mean the drive will be there.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!