Backup a live system

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't really transfer any of the old files including config.xml. You can use them as a reference to set it up again.

If you backed it up with the System Backup tab, the recovery would recover all files.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron,

sure, as i wrote i dont't want to recover everything, online config.xml with all users, shares, rights etc.
    Is there a way to do so?
    Found the omv-firstaid tool via cli.
    There is an entry to recover an backuped config.xml.
    What does firstaid in detail? Any further manual or walktrough to get on with it?

THX Thomas

• Hello,

just one short question:

If i do a clean install with OMV and then configure everything ( snapraid, Aufs; shared folders) how can i then do a full backup of just the system driver ?

I found in the repo the addon BACKUP.

The first point there is CLONEZILLA.

Can i do this with clonezilla ?

Software:
    OMV 3.0 / Plex / Snapraid / Tvheadend / ecoDMS / sonar / sabnzbd
    Hardware:
    ASRock C2750D4I / 2x Kingston KVR16E11/8 / Dell PERC H200 Crossflashed / 8x WD Red 3 TB / 60GB TeamGroup Dark L3 SSD / Samsung 750 EVO 256 GB SSD / Sundtek Sky TV Ultimate 6 DVB-S2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Start omv-firstaid and it is pretty self explanatory what it does :)

Clonezilla makes the best system backup in my opinion.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• So shall i use Clonezilla or omv-firstaid ?

I just want to create a cleansystem, do a full backup of the system drive and then test a few things, without the need to install and configure everything again

Software:
    OMV 3.0 / Plex / Snapraid / Tvheadend / ecoDMS / sonar / sabnzbd
    Hardware:
    ASRock C2750D4I / 2x Kingston KVR16E11/8 / Dell PERC H200 Crossflashed / 8x WD Red 3 TB / 60GB TeamGroup Dark L3 SSD / Samsung 750 EVO 256 GB SSD / Sundtek Sky TV Ultimate 6 DVB-S2

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-firstaid just fixes a few things. It doesn't do backups. So, Clonezilla is what you want.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clonezilla only clones the data. So, unless you plan on restoring to a smaller disk at some point, there is no need to resize.

• I've just read this thread, but it seems there is no answer for me.

First, I'll say that I do love clonezilla for what it is; an imaging application. I do not consider it to be a "backup" solution at all because it does not provide live backup (see the title of the thread) and cannot even be set to do "backups" on a regular basis.

Clonezilla has its places and I have used it extensively for deployment purposes and for backout plans during maintenance on critical systems. But for routine, unattended, scheduled backups it is useless. I don't know why it is being recommended as a backup solution for OMV system drives when it cannot do this?

Perhaps I have different needs than others, but I don't want to have to bring my OMV box down and clone it every single time I make a configuration change, or add a plugin, or a new drive, etc. etc.

My particular situation is:

I have a 160GB drive that is partitioned (after OMV install). The system partition is 30GB and the second partition takes the rest of the space. I have MySQL data on the second partition and I am running greyhole.

I need to be able to recover easily in the event of a system drive failure, thus I need both the system partition and the MySQL partition (holding the greyhole database). I will be writing files to my data drives on a daily basis, which means my greyhole database will be changing all the time. Not to mention new plugins, upgrades, updates, and config changes on the system drive will take place fairly regularly.

Is the OMV commmunity telling me that my best solution is to boot into clonezilla and image my system drive every time?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I run my omv system under this schema http://blog.kourim.net/installing-debian-on-btrfs-subvolume
    I run daily snapshots of the rootfs and those get send to another btrfs volume (disk) as an incremental operation that uses an overall average bandwidth in between the volumes of about 30MB.
    The snapshot is cow so is instant. The send receive op, takes about 3-5 minutes.

• Interesting, but perhaps beyond my needs.

I am thinking I might just install another old drive, use dd to clone my system drive to the secondary, and then use rsync and cron to sync the system and MySQL file systems on a very regular basis.

In the event of a failure of the system drive, I would simply need to change the bios option to boot from the secondary system drive.

• ... and then I run into the issue of backing up the MySQL/greyhole dB "hot".

I think I need to reconsider everything at this point.

Perhaps a complete rebuild (the 3rd one) is in order so I can simply have a mirrored system drive. Why this isn't an option during OMV install is baffling.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clonezilla was not being recommended for "routine, unattended, scheduled backups". It was being recommended for noobs who do not know how to restore the backup that is created at the beginning of this thread. On the other hand, most do not need a backup of the OMV OS drive that often because it doesn't change that much. So, a clone works very well.

Your system doesn't sound any different. So, unless you are changing configurations all the time, a clone should work just fine. I can always walk someone through restoring the backup in the first thread as well. As for mysql, I have a simple script running via cron that backs up my mysql databases daily (without stopping them - mysqldump) and keeps the last 30 days worth.

• The OMV OS drive changes all the time. I don't know how you can say it doesn't change that much. Whether it be simple monit data, log data, updates, etc. the system is always changing. Whether one feels that these changes are "irrelevant", is well, irrelevant. Moderators here constantly berate people for using flash drives as system drives because "there are way too many writes to the system drives - you are going to trash the drive in months". But the same folks say "the system drive hardly ever changes"?

So, which is it?

My greyhole dB changes all the time. Every new file that gets written results in dB edits/additions. Restoring a day-old dB from a flatfile would result in the greyhole dB being basically useless.

After reading several threads, I have repeatedly read this "clonezilla is good enough" argument. I completely disagree.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You must have missed what the target of OMV is... It is for home users. Most home nas users want their setup and data (pics, music, movies, docs) to come back back. So, yes, I am calling monit data, log data, etc irrelevant.

If someone is berated for using a usb drive, it is because it is posted in lots of places to not use one because it will fail. Yes, Debian/collectd/rrdcache write to the drive too much and therefore, OMV does. Creating temp files is writing to the drive but it doesn't change the system drive. When I say the system drive doesn't change, it means the config doesn't change. Is it really that big of an issue to update a clone??

I understand how the greyhole db works since I maintain the plugin. Your greyhole db is not on the system drive. It is a mysql database which is on a data drive/array (if you used the plugin). I really don't think you need a realtime backup of the greyhole db. A couple of times a day at most. If you restore an old database, there are tools in the plugin to update it to the current situation. An old database would not start deleting files. So, it would not be useless.

I have been using OMV since it was released and Ubuntu before that. The clonezilla method has always worked just fine and is "good enough" for the seven systems I maintain (including three production servers and my home servers). I am constantly looking at different ways to backup/restore the system drive via plugin (current working REAR - relax-and-recover). You are always welcome to recommend a "good" way to backup and restore a system since clonezilla is so bad.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interesting, but perhaps beyond my needs.

This is a rollback in a live btrfs rootfs mv @ @_old && mv @_snap20150117 @ reboot and back to the date (this is done in the actual live mounted rootfs)

system disk failure? boot sysrcd from usb, chroot into your backed snapshots, run grub and change bios boot order.

If you want to use another disk for emergency boot with the backup snaps you can script that after the send receive process to change the uuid in the backed volume in fstab. Then you just need to plug the drive a set it to boot.

• The btrfs option sounds very cool, and I may use that for other projects, but I just don't see myself needing to do rollbacks with this home NAS so it seems like a lot of work for nothing.

I've found a howto on how to convert an existing single drive to an mdadm mirror without losing data on the original disk, so that's how I will proceed for now. I would rather spend some time learning that process than yet again doing a complete re-install and configuration of OMV/MySQL/samba/greyhole/minecraft/transmission ... etc.

Before anyone says it, yes I know RAID is not a replacement for backups, but at least it can survive a single-drive failure without spending hours having to rebuild/reconfigure my NAS. The "home user" part of me finds that very attractive.

• I don't know about anyone else, but I find I have a lot more old, unused disks than free time to spend rebuilding my NAS.

For anyone else in my boat who wants to convert their system disk to a mirror (without manually installing debian wheezy, then installing OMV, then installing and configuring all your plugins, then transferring all your data back, etc. etc.), I just followed this guide http://www.guyrutenberg.com/20…-mdadm-on-existing-drive/

... worked perfectly. It isn't rocket surgery, but take your time. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!