Backup a live system

• I have an Acronis Backup for Linux Server 11.5 Software (Trial Version) and Backup and Recover the whole System as ist is. When needed Incremental. Restore over a created BootMedia CDROM.iso : Also install these USB Backup plugin, rsnapshot and Clonzilla etc. But not play enough with it...

@subzero79, i also tried the btrfs setup on kourim.net in a vm but failed... .Damn ;) Could you write a little description about how to setup a system with boot from a subvolume or create snapshots and make backup from these snapshots and how to recover them back on the same disk or new one. Especially the OMV System HDD

Regards nightcrawler

• Hi all. I'm new here, and a noobie.
    I've using omg for more than 10 months without problems, but in last weeks started to get some misconfiguration.
    So I've tried to restore a backup made with the plugin, but unsuccessfully.
    I've tried to search in forums, but without lucky.
    Can someone put a step-by-step guide on restore a backup made with the plugin using clonezilla?
    Thanks a lot in advance!

omv 6.3.8-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 6.2.1
    Intel Core2Duo @ 2.33 GHz

• @subzero79, i also tried the btrfs setup on kourim.net in a vm but failed... .Damn
    Could you write a little description about how to setup a system with
    boot from a subvolume or create snapshots and make backup from these
    snapshots and how to recover them back on the same disk or new one.
    Especially the OMV System HDD

Regards nightcrawler

• Clonezilla was not being recommended for "routine, unattended, scheduled backups". It was being recommended for noobs who do not know how to restore the backup that is created at the beginning of this thread. On the other hand, most do not need a…

after reading this post and somewhere also read "OMV is for home users", what would be the best way for a backup of the data volume in a "routined, unattended, scheduled" way, best as an incremental backup with hardlinks on a second backup server.

I missed the survey for plugin wishes, this would be mine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In my opinion, the OMV setup of the average home user won't change often. So, if you make a clone of the OMV install once every couple of months, that should be good enough.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• its about the data volume, not the system volume.
    I would like to save my docs, pics, mp3's, videos every day in an incremental way with hardlinks on a remote target.

rsync gives me remore target as an option (type:local/remote), but does no increments.
    Rsnapshot, based on rsync works with increments. But when configuring I only have a local shared folder as a target, no remote folder.

Why is this limitated, is there a work around?

• Offizieller Beitrag

its about the data volume, not the system volume.

Sorry, I read your post wrong.

On my systems, I use rsnapshot on the local system and then rsync that to my other server.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Rsnapshot prior to rsync, could be an option.
    Does rsync also copy the hard links to the remote target?

Lets say you have 1 GB of Data (music, video, whatever) and you change 10 MB.
    Rnapshop gives you two folders, one 1GB, second 1.01 GB, seems to be 2.01Gb in total but physically only 1.01 GB on the drive.
    If you now copy this local backup folder with rsync to a remote desktop, does it have 1.01 or 2.01 GB?

Nevertheless, even with rsync of hardlinks, you are ending up with 3 GB.
    1 GB of living data, 1GB local Rnapshot copy, 1 GB remote.
    Rsnapchat with remote target would give a distance copy and with history, total 2 GB.

Another option which came to my mind would be rsync of living data to a Synology-Server, then using their TimeBackup plugin for versioning. But this also triples the data.

Is it so difficult to integrate this switch of local/remote target in the OMV-Rsnapshot plugin?
    Where can I place a feature request.

From my point of view, backup is most importand feature. If you don't backup in a proper way, you just borrowed your data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to rsnapshot the data to a remote server, just do what subzero said - use the remoteshare plugin to mount a remote directory using nfs, samba, ssh, whatever as a local shared folder.

I didn't write the rsnapshot plugin (although I maintain it now). I haven't looked at what it would take to add remote (if it is even possible).

• Rsnapshot should be able to be configured for remote again with remote share plugin using nfs

Rsync does incremental, not by default

Got it!

I installed the remote share plugin,
    nfs is not working yet (backup to local folder, not to share), but smb does it correctly (incl. hardlinks).
    Thats ok for me, I'll postpone the nfs-issues.

It seems I reached the next level in this OMV-adventure.

How can I trigger rsnapshot on a scheduled base?
    Do I have to edit cron manually or can I use "scheduled jobs" within the web interface, if yes, which command to put in.
    Thanks in advance

• If you want to rsnapshot the data to a remote server, just do what subzero said - use the remoteshare plugin to mount a remote directory using nfs, samba, ssh, whatever as a local shared folder.

I didn't write the rsnapshot plugin (although I maintain it now). I haven't looked at what it would take to add remote (if it is even possible).

You answered the same time I tested remoteshare.
    As written, it works with smb and thats ok for me.

What I am missing in rsnapshot is still feature in rsync. So as today is Chrismas, good time for a wish that someone is going to merge these both plugins.

All the best and Merry Chrismas to both of you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why would you want to trigger rsnapshot? If you put a value in greater than 0 in the field, it runs every hour, day, month, year. What feature (other than remote) do you want in rsnapshot?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The time of the daily snapshot is a cron job. You can change the time by editing /etc/cron.d/openmediavault-rsnapshot

• I have been looking around for a super easy way to backup and restore my OMV configuration since I struggled so much to clone the system to a smaller disk. Grub did not follow after clonezilla and I had to use too many tool in my opinion to get a runnable system again. A simple system must be simple from end to end.

So I tested the system backup and it was straight forward. Now, what about restore? Do I have to seek for a mystical cli incantation via ssh to recover my saved configuration? Why is there no "Restore" button in the system backup plugin?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't restore to a live system using the backup method this plugin uses. You have to boot a live linux distro like systemrescuecd and rsync the files back to os drive. Restore method is mentioned in the first post. It is generic because there are too many factors that could be different.

Cloning to a smaller disk with clonezilla can be challenging. If you resize the partitions on the larger to a size that will fit on the smaller drive, it will work fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!